Thread: North 40 Internet

North 40 Internet

Why can’t EAA get the internet right? I’ve been coming here since 1998, and the internet is about as slow as a 28.8K modem. If you are lucky enough to connect, that is. Even LTE is spotty.

Please fix this for 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marktrav View Post
    Why can’t EAA get the internet right? I’ve been coming here since 1998, and the internet is about as slow as a 28.8K modem. If you are lucky enough to connect, that is. Even LTE is spotty.

Please fix this for 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There is no realistic (affordable) fix the EAA could use to supply high speed wifi to that many devices in that sort of density.

ATT LTE has been pretty decent in camp scholler. But even with temporary COWS to extend coverage, it's still a numbers problem that stretches the capabilities of the underlying technology.
    Last edited by mc20; 07-24-2018 at 08:41 PM.

LTE is all I’ve got. I can’t use my iPad to connect at all. Every time I try to join EAAWIFI, I get an “unable to join EAAWIFI.” I’ve been trying since Saturday with zero luck in joining at anytime of the day. (No, it’s not an iPad technical problem.)

Is OSH that much denser than any major metropolitan city?

It seems that the only domain available is “EAAWIFI.” Everyone is trying to join that domain. Why not EAAWIFI-North-North40, EAAWIFI-South-North40, EAAWIFI-South-North40, etc. There are only so many addresses available in an IPv4 environment within a named domain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've found when I get the "unable to join eaawifi" error sometimes doing "forget this network" (on Apple at least) seems to work sometimes. I'm on Tmobile and the service was almost unusable at the grounds and marginally better out in Scholler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never got EAA WIFI to work anywhere on field. I'm used to Vintage being the red-headed step child with regard to internet (it has never worked there).

To compound this, ATT's cell service seemed to be taking a massive dump this year as well. I saw technicians beating on the cell equipment by the Red Barn (Vintage) for a lot of the show.
    It hasn't been this bad since the first iPhones started showing up.

Amusingly, one of my friends got a text message from me during the early days of the show that I sent during the 2017 show. Apparently, it got wedged in some piece of temporary cell equipment that didn't get powered up in the intervening 50 weeks.

A buddy of mine generally has to put in a few hours of data intensive work during Airventure. He gets up at 1:00 or 2:00 AM and gets a good connection and good bandwidth in HBC. Otherwise, neither of us has any luck in HBC.

As others have said, it would take a lot of fairly expensive infrastructure to provide good service, and it may not be worth it for a one week event.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I never got EAA WIFI to work anywhere on field. I'm used to Vintage being the red-headed step child with regard to internet (it has never worked there).

To compound this, ATT's cell service seemed to be taking a massive dump this year as well. I saw technicians beating on the cell equipment by the Red Barn (Vintage) for a lot of the show.
    It hasn't been this bad since the first iPhones started showing up.

Amusingly, one of my friends got a text message from me during the early days of the show that I sent during the 2017 show. Apparently, it got wedged in some piece of temporary cell equipment that didn't get powered up in the intervening 50 weeks.
    Well that explains it. I figured where I was camping WiFi would be useless, but for the past few years AT&T was acceptable. 1 or 2 Meg's down, not great, but for checking radar and looking at the days videos, ok. I let the rest of the world go away EAA week. This year, I was typically getting .01 to .02 Meg's down. Texting was Ok, but trying to get a radar image to paint was pretty useless.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they will get it fixed for next year. The 2017 text is hilariously! Thanks for the laugh.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk