Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being a Fighter Pilot

A friend's son went through ROTC at Colo State U at Fort Collins, then into the A F and pilot school at, I think, Brownsville. He flys mostly B-52s, but as a grad of the test pilot school at Edward's he has gotten to fly a lot of planes, and had a good career.

I don't know how many pilot openings there will be in the near future, if we are actually getting out of the Iraq war, finally , and may be winding down in Afghan. Also with the poor economy there may be budget cuts in the near future including defense spending.
    On the other hand, if there are budget cuts and less defense spending, there is also likely to be less civilian pilot jobs also, especially any that pay a reasonable wage.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-21-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    Tony, don't write off the Air Force as a career if flying is not an option....

Nor should he write off an aviation career if flying is not an option. Famed Lockeed engineer Kelly Johnson wanted to be a pilot but had a medically disqualifying condition.

Here's a few thoughts that are close to home in more ways than one. Check out the 128th Air Refueling Group at Mitchell Field, it's only a short drive from your home in Racine. A very good friend of my son joined after a brief stint in the Marine Corp Reserve I think he was assigned to Base Security initially, but after graduation from college he worked his way into flight school and now flies as an Aircraft Commander! He graduated from high school in 1993 and has been flying left seat for several years, so it can be accomplished. I would strongly suggest you get all the medical requirements information ASAP before you "over dream" and mentally commit to every pilots' desire to fly a fighter. I'm speaking from my past since I lost that dream when I was 14 and have been wearing glasses ever since! There is a lot of great advise on this thread, and still a lot of opportunity in aviation for those who are highly motivated, but it isn't an easy path!

Good Luck!

Joe
    X- Loadmaster 440th TAW
    Mitchell Field 1966 - 1972

Hey Joe! Thanks for your service.
    LTC (Ret)
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Thanks Gerry,

I my case it was a pleasure, I was doing something that was really fun with a bunch a great guys. The real heros back in those days were stuck in SE Asia in a nasty situation. During my six years I saw what it did to our Army, and it's good to see that as a country we have stopped blaming our servicemen for the situations that political leaders create. Happy Thanksgiving to all those who have served and are still serving!

Joe

Thank you ALL so much! I went and talked with the recruiter and he said i still have a good shot since it was so long ago and my grades are so good.
    Tony, don't write off the Air Force as a career if flying is not an option.
    Joe- I don't think I will, if I don't go into flying I am very interested in aerospace engineering. Eric- I very much appreciate all of the info and advice you have given me and I'll make sure I call the Surgeon General's office soon.

Today I went for my neurology appointment and now I have a 3 day EEG scheduled over my christmas break...yay...not really but hopefully everything comes back normal. But again I want all of you to know how much it means to me to have all of you help me. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Good luck with it all Tony!!
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Wink

I second Anymouse!!! Good luck and don't let anyone tell you can't do something. I had people that always said "you can't do that", well I guess I am hardheaded and I did a lot of what they said I could not do. Just takes determination and preserverence. My son has done exactly what you are wanting to do and I always supported and encouraged him through the entire process. He found scholarships and graduated from ERAU. Yesterday he pogo'd (soloed) in the T-6 Texan II Air Force UPT trainer. I am a proud father!! So it can be done.
    I will tell you to try for every type of scholarship you can, every little bit helps.
    Not to turn this into a racial/gender biased thread but if you are a white male, you will find that you have WAY less chances of finding shcolarships. They are out there albiet few compared to ones available to minorities and females. Of course the need to get student loans is also something you have to look inot. If your parents are independently wealthy I guess you can ignore all this.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 11-24-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Thanks Gerry,

it's good to see that as a country we have stopped blaming our servicemen for the situations that political leaders create. Happy Thanksgiving to all those who have served and are still serving!

Joe
    Amen!
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania