Thread: EAA Virtual Flight Academy Support FAQs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EAA Virtual Flight Academy Support FAQs

Thank you for your interest in EAA Virtual Flight Academy! Please use this thread to post your questions. Our partner in developing this new benefit is TakeFlight Interactive. They will provide second tier support for EAA members. These forums are your first tier of support. We'll do our best to monitor questions and post responses.

ISSUE FIX
    Can I use a different version of Microsoft Flight Simulator X? It may work, but only Microsoft Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition is supported.
    What hardware can I use? Please see the list from FSX Insider. Redbird offers members $50-500 off flight controls, and we're working with others to add discounts.
    Can I change the aircraft or airport? While it is possible to change the configuration file, we do not recommend it. FSX supports such modifications, but they will not be viewable when the EAA Virtual Flight Academy is operating.
    Last edited by Cory Puuri; 08-06-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Hello everyone, Brandon Seltz of TakeFlight Interactive here. I'll be monitoring this forum as well. This is a highly technical release, we're sure to learn a few things! Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance in making this forum as helpful as possible.

I am enjoying getting started with EAA VFA but I have an annoyance with my new Thrustmaster Stick X. I need to almost constantly hold left aileron. I can trim for pitch but I can't seem to get the aileron trimmed neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by kc2gms View Post
    I am enjoying getting started with EAA VFA but I have an annoyance with my new Thrustmaster Stick X. I need to almost constantly hold left aileron. I can trim for pitch but I can't seem to get the aileron trimmed neutral.
    I have had this problem. What I had to do was center my stick and make sure everything is centered. Unplug my stick from the computer and then plug it back in. For some reason it lost its center position. I am not sure if this will help but it worked for me. Good luck.

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I had this thread set to notify me of any activity.

It sounds as if you need to calibrate your flight controls. This generally needs to be done with a new controller, or when switching controllers. There is a small blurb in the EAA VFA Getting Started Guide, but I'll expand on that here:

To calibrate your flight controls:

1. Open FSX without EAA VFA running, select Free Flight, then start a flight (any aircraft, location and weather will do)
    2. When the flight loads, from the top menu select Options > Settings > Controls
    Name:  FSX Options Menu.jpg
Views: 4881
Size:  7.9 KB

3. At the top-right of that window, select Calibrate:
    Name:  FSX Options Calibration.jpg
Views: 6377
Size:  19.7 KB

4. In the new Game Controllers window that opens, select your controller then select Properties:
    Name:  Calibrate-Properties.jpg
Views: 4077
Size:  12.9 KB

5. That'll open a new window where you'll likely see that your controller is a little off center.
    6. Select the top-left tab Settings, then select Calibrate
    Name:  Calibrate-Settings.jpg
Views: 4196
Size:  8.6 KB

7. Follow the Calibration Wizard instructions to calibrate your controller.
    8. When complete, you should see your controller is centered. Select Ok several times to get back to flying.
    9. If your aircraft still has unwanted control inputs, you may need to increase the Null Zone for the offending axis.
    Name:  FSX Options Controls.jpg
Views: 7285
Size:  20.7 KB

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Brandon
    Last edited by Brandon Seltz; 11-28-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Howdy,

I’m loving the flight academy and recently bought the second module. I was wondering if you considering developing a virtual practice area to work on skills without being limited so a set set of events such as happens in the classes. For example my real world instructor said I should practice practicing turns while climbing and descending.