Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Eternal debates in aviation...

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    Couldn't have said it better. I was elated the day I found this out.
    Pilots are the only group where I've literally had an argument with someone then turned around and had that same person less than an hour later offer to go 100 miles out of their way to get me home after my intended ride flaked on me.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    Couldn't have said it better. I was elated the day I found this out.
    Real life case in point. Two years ago my mechanic was helping me push another airplane back into the community hangar, and, being unfamiliar with the narrow door opening, we put a major ding in the wingtip before I could yell "stop". Repair cost me $2000.00 and the owner was, understandably, a bit 'cool' in his relationship to me. A couple of weeks ago, I had a brake lock up on landing and he was right there to help push my airplane back to the hangar. While we could not be called 'best friends', he was right there when I neded help. That's aviation, WingsAloft, and welcome to the community.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Real life case in point. Two years ago my mechanic was helping me push another airplane back into the community hangar, and, being unfamiliar with the narrow door opening, we put a major ding in the wingtip before I could yell "stop". Repair cost me $2000.00 and the owner was, understandably, a bit 'cool' in his relationship to me. A couple of weeks ago, I had a brake lock up on landing and he was right there to help push my airplane back to the hangar. While we could not be called 'best friends', he was right there when I neded help.
    He didn't try to ding back yours? ("OOPS, Jerry! Did I just wreck your wingtip? Looks like you can't make it to the bbq tomorrow! Sorry, my bad!")
    Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    That's aviation, WingsAloft, and welcome to the community.
    Thankyou, I appreciate that.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Pilots are the only group where I've literally had an argument with someone then turned around and had that same person less than an hour later offer to go 100 miles out of their way to get me home after my intended ride flaked on me.
    The last heated discussion I had on the About.com atheism/agnosticism forum slaughterhouse was with someone who happened to be a pilot. When I found this out, I asked him questions about obtaining an IR rating, we totally forgot whatever we were wrangling over, and we were suddenly friendly and cordial; a total 180. I guess the platitudes about the passion of aviation transending differences, has some truth to it.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

You'll also see competition pilots loaning their airplane to a competitor (who might well beat them) whose plane may be damaged or otherwise down.