Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eternal debates in aviation...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    All the dangers of boating combined with the adventure of flying.

Some might say that's just asking for trouble.

Actually Frank, us water flyers say we're just asking(and receiving) for one of the highest levels of pure fun and adventure available in aviation. Seaplane flying is not inherently dangerous but is intolerant of neglect, carelessness, bad judgement and diminished skills.

The ethanol in fuel debacle anyone?

Mogas vs avgas vs Jet-A?

Homebuilders vs. "spam can" drivers?

Boring holes in the sky vs point A to B flying?

Bug smashing vs high altitude GA?

Pulse oximeters in the cockpit

Those are the ones I can think of at the moment.

Here's one we kicked around the other day:

Are restorers the same as homebuilders? (No, says I; restoring looks like more work, as you're repairing somebody else's fixes).

Floats, I ain't never seen a fat drunk guy holding up a beer shouting Woohoo! with his buddies while driving at 45 miles on an airstrip in a bass boat.

Unless one considers a river an airstrip, that is!

Last edited by Frank Giger; 11-23-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

re: Low wing vs. high wing. Personally, I prefer low wing, but a very experienced pilot I know recently noted that he's never seen a low wing bird...
    A little fodder for the high wing folks.

High wings reportedly have a tendency to rollover more in crashes and I don't like having the fuel above my head even if the thing doesn't turn turtle. That's my only "argument" against a high wing configuration. Otherwise, I prefer them because of the better visibility towards the ground.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Here's one we kicked around the other day:

Are restorers the same as homebuilders? (No, says I; restoring looks like more work, as you're repairing somebody else's fixes).

Floats, I ain't never seen a fat drunk guy holding up a beer shouting Woohoo! with his buddies while driving at 45 miles on an airstrip in a bass boat.

Unless one considers a river an airstrip, that is!

Floats.....uhhh.....that's a good thing, right??!?

Forgot one...

Sport Aviation content.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Nobody's mentioned the dreaded downwind turn? Or the "fly flying in the cockpit of a plane in flight"? Or Newton vs. Bernoulli? All of which really shouldn't be debated because the science is clear, but that never stopped anybody...

Quote Originally Posted by Anymouse View Post
    <---------- You're looking at him!!
    YEP, I'M LOOKING AT HIM IN THE MIRROR.

"You may have a lot more experience than I, but when I have your experience, I'll be a lot better pilot than you are." Student of mine told me that once. Smart kid. Methinks aviators are like gunfighters in a way. If y'don't think you're the best in the business, y'ought to consider changing careers.

What about the one of the cargo plane full of pigeons that suddenly take flight? or the pitch or power to control airspeed? Anyone who thinks pitch controls airspeed needs to fly gliders. Oh, and flying tail wheel airplanes is not what makes you a real pilot, but flying gliders is.