Thread: Marring on gussets - to fill or not to fill

Question Marring on gussets - to fill or not to fill

New builder here and have a pretty simple question about gussets, staple removing and the periodic surface marring which can result.

I watched Mr. Bogenhagen's video on staple removal and he mentions that in some cases, using wood filler prior to applying varnish may be done when the surface of the gusset has been marred a bit by staple removal. I've been building up the tail feathers on my Mini Max and have some of the same exact type of damage he shows in the video. The marring is slight but noticeable.

The perfectionist in me wants to fix it because I appreciate attention to detail. But the practical side of me thinks that since the marring isn't structural, the filler is overkill and that I'm wasting my somewhat limited time worrying about it and should simply move on. Not everyone can be perfect, right?

Anyone have any thoughts, comments or opinions on it? I'm perhaps overthinking it but would rather have some more experienced feedback from folks here.

Wood filler inside the airplane is just extra weight with no meaningful benefit.

Weight is the enemy.

Cost/benefit ratio yields a DIV/0 error.
    Bob Kuykendall
    HP-24 kit sailplane project

HP-24 Project Facebook Page
    http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
    EAA Technical Counselor

Happy

Quote Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
    Wood filler inside the airplane is just extra weight with no meaningful benefit.

Weight is the enemy.

Cost/benefit ratio yields a DIV/0 error.
    Thanks Bob. I was hoping to hear that. Moving on!!