Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Stall in a turn

Ron and Ron, thank you for taking the time to set me straight. Dihedral. Of course. As for the separation moving span wise on the wing, years ago, in a SG 1-26 I was wrapped up in a tight turn, coreing a thermal at stall plus 2 or 3. I glanced back at the wing trailing edge at the fuselage juncture. There was a triangular area that was obviously, visually turbulant. The skin was vibrating. I eased off back pressure and the turbulant area grew smaller. increased back pressure and it got bigger. Looks like it was time to re- skin the wing.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Dingley; 08-06-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Punct

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Ron and Ron, thank you. Dihedral. Of course.
    There is a really good book by Hubert C. ("Skip") Smith entitled, "Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics". I highly recommend it … lots of little yarn tufts so one can easily see what is going on. Obviously the yarn destroys any prayer of laminar flow

I believe legally (but don't quote me … and I'll deny it) one can tuft an airplane without going into "Experimental" category. As an FAA Flight Analyst DER, you would think that I would know that answer. Guess I'm used to being in the "X" category all the time.

You're welcome,
    Ron "we all learned something today" Blum

Aileron should not be a factor in a stabilized turn. When banking the airplane I teach ,look, kick and turn, then neutralize, the airplane should continue at this bank angle (turbulence not withstanding) until you reverse the bank angle.

Somewhat off topic. A late friend instructed in B-24 and B-29's in the early 40's (until he was shipped to Tinian). He told me that part of the B-29 check out included stalls in a 60 degree bank. Of course, the complete crew was aboard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Somewhat off topic. A late friend instructed in B-24 and B-29's in the early 40's (until he was shipped to Tinian). He told me that part of the B-29 check out included stalls in a 60 degree bank. Of course, the complete crew was aboard.
    Practicing for steep turn to the left after simulating atomic bomb drop???

Quote Originally Posted by raytoews View Post
    Aileron should not be a factor in a stabilized turn. When banking the airplane I teach ,look, kick and turn, then neutralize, the airplane should continue at this bank angle (turbulence not withstanding) until you reverse the bank angle.
    Unless one is flying an airplane with neutral or negative lateral stability, there will be a little down aileron on the up wing (and up aileron on the down wing). This may be masked by aileron system friction. We're not talking large amounts like 2-3 degrees, but there will be some. All certificated airplanes must have positive lateral stability.