Thread: Zenair vs Savanah

Zenair vs Savanah

A friend recently bought a Zenair 750. Another friend bought a Savanah a month ago.
    I know this is going to upset some people but the difference in flying charactersistics is amazing. They both have the same R914 but the Savannah is almost 200 lbs lighter
    The Zenair is sluggish and heavy as compared to the Savannah. It is the nicest handling/performing airplane I have ever flown. I have 30 different types in my logbook.
    I found the same between the Kitfox and the Avid. The Avid being a much more docile airplane.
    Any thoughts?
    Eh?

From what I could see, the Savannah is more in line with the 701, which of course is lighter. I've never flown in a 701, but have flown in, and am building, a 750 Cruzer. From what I could find, the 701 was allegedly jointly designed by Chris Heintz (Zenith) and Max Tedesco. So I would expect similarities. I believe the 750 has higher baggage compt weight; at least, it's 80 in my Cruzer, and the Savannah I believe is in the low 40's. The 750 also appears to be more designed for STOL operations, so I would expect more lumbering performance. Different missions? Perhaps compare a Savannah with a Cruzer?

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I understand the 750 is a bigger heavier ultralight but why would the handling characteristics change.
    I own a Grumman Cheetah and I would dare say the Savanah has very similar pleasnt handling.
    Has anyone flown both the 750 and the 701 and found a difference.
    I am intersted as another friend is contemplating building one of them.