Thread: Four Winds Aircraft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Four Winds Aircraft

Does anyone know what happened to the Four Winds aircraft? It was a 4 seat, cantilever high wing composite kit with a welded steel tube framework surrounding the cabin. I believe it was introduced at Sun 'n Fun in 2002. It has since fallen off the radar screen. It had 4 doors and is the kind of plane I'd love to pursue now that I have the time and inclination. It was bigger than the Sportsman and had the ability to carry 4 adults in relative comfort with 4 doors like a big family car. The company apparently folded because the website is dead and I can't find other references to the plane, but the design has to live on somewhere! Any clues for me? Or should I give up and buy a used Cessna Cardinal? The Stallion is too big and expensive to construct and operate although it follows a similar formula. I like the thought of using an IO 360 as the power plant. Any clues would be appreciated.

Flyhound

As I can recall, Four Winds was in New Smyrna Beach, FL. It was a quality airplane, with great potential. Sadly, the aircraft was involved in a fatal accident in the Miami area due to a in-flight fire and crashing into the federal reserve bldg.

Fourwinds

Quote Originally Posted by The Copter Doctor View Post
    As I can recall, Four Winds was in New Smyrna Beach, FL. It was a quality airplane, with great potential. Sadly, the aircraft was involved in a fatal accident in the Miami area due to a in-flight fire and crashing into the federal reserve bldg.
    not sure that was a FW they did have a crash due to using electric car seats which shorted out and caused a fire

Happy Four Winds Aircraft... I have a friend that is building a 4 Winds. It has been signe

[QUOTE A friend od mine has a 4 winds that has been signed off for phase one airworthiness.

=flyhound;6248]Does anyone know what happened to the Four Winds aircraft? It was a 4 seat, cantilever high wing composite kit with a welded steel tube framework surrounding the cabin. I believe it was introduced at Sun 'n Fun in 2002. It has since fallen off the radar screen. It had 4 doors and is the kind of plane I'd love to pursue now that I have the time and inclination. It was bigger than the Sportsman and had the ability to carry 4 adults in relative comfort with 4 doors like a big family car. The company apparently folded because the website is dead and I can't find other references to the plane, but the design has to live on somewhere! Any clues for me? Or should I give up and buy a used Cessna Cardinal? The Stallion is too big and expensive to construct and operate although it follows a similar formula. I like the thought of using an IO 360 as the power plant. Any clues would be appreciated.

Flyhound[/QUOTE]

I know all about the Fourwinds aircraft.

The FW Aircraft company was sold to VX aerospace many years ago where it langished and was never developed. As an ex FW builder that got 100% hosed....I bought the assets and the demonstrator from VX aerospace and then worked with ACS solutions in Florida to develope the aircraft for the builders that were left hanging. About 15 of us lost more than a million dollars in deposits and half built aircraft. ACS was never able to find the funding to do what was needed. I now have the assets back in my control.

The aicraft had much promise...but it never went anywhere.

I have control over the assets...if anyone wants to buy an aircraft company ( or parts of it ) with lots of promise and that has many half done issues...please call me. It will sell for dirt cheap. There are molds, frames, engineering, all sorts of things. The assets sit at Morganton Airport in North Carolina.

Mark McAfee
    Fresno CA ]
    559-970-5581 cell

Quote Originally Posted by flyhound View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the Four Winds aircraft? It was a 4 seat, cantilever high wing composite kit with a welded steel tube framework surrounding the cabin. I believe it was introduced at Sun 'n Fun in 2002. It has since fallen off the radar screen. It had 4 doors and is the kind of plane I'd love to pursue now that I have the time and inclination. It was bigger than the Sportsman and had the ability to carry 4 adults in relative comfort with 4 doors like a big family car. The company apparently folded because the website is dead and I can't find other references to the plane, but the design has to live on somewhere! Any clues for me? Or should I give up and buy a used Cessna Cardinal? The Stallion is too big and expensive to construct and operate although it follows a similar formula. I like the thought of using an IO 360 as the power plant. Any clues would be appreciated.

Flyhound

Four Winds

Sigh. I have the assets and the energy to pursue a single airplane project, but not an airplne company. There is a huge delta in effort between developing a good design, and building a successful company. The original designer of the plane must be saddened by the outcome. I bought a share in a 182 to keep me in the air while I look for the ideal plane to build. The Four Winds filled the bill perfectly for me, but I may be backing into a Bearhawk now. I'm not thrilled by its lines, but its practicality is undeniable and the kits have a good track record. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcafee View Post
    The FW Aircraft company was sold to VX aerospace many years ago where it langished and was never developed. As an ex FW builder that got 100% hosed....I bought the assets and the demonstrator from VX aerospace and then worked with ACS solutions in Florida to develope the aircraft for the builders that were left hanging. About 15 of us lost more than a million dollars in deposits and half built aircraft. ACS was never able to find the funding to do what was needed. I now have the assets back in my control.

I have control over the assets...if anyone wants to buy an aircraft company ( or parts of it ) with lots of promise and that has many half done issues...please call me. It will sell for dirt cheap. There are molds, frames, engineering, all sorts of things. The assets sit at Morganton Airport in North Carolina.

Mark McAfee
    Fresno CA ]
    559-970-5581 cell

I am building a turboprop FW.It has flown 3 times in stage one testing. Iwould be interested in discussing your
    ownership of FW more if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcafee View Post

Wow, that's exciting and sad at the same time.

Just out of curiosity, anyone have any FW photos they could post?
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com