Thread: What happened to the airShow performers ???

What happened to the airShow performers ???

I just looked at the performers for the air show and this has to be the least impressive I have ever seen in my 20+ years of attending Oshkosh, welcome to the new EAA - “hey, let’s try to draw a younger crowd and will start with putting a band on stage (that 90% of the crowd could care less to see yet ever heard of) that they like then we will find a way to put all the collages in on spot for them etc.....
    then I looked at the flyin theater shows and only one of any interest was going to play not that I care to go watch but come on EAA your trying to incourage people to show up but this is the best you can do???
    the group your playing to has no interest in coming for a band or a school, those younger would have shown up without this junk because they already had an interest in aviation.
    I use to feel like I could let a child go on their own at Oshkosh and they would be safe but in the last few years the crowd has changed and I no longer feel that way.
    My father told me 30+ years ago that the middle age and older are the ones with the money and you should always play to them, just a thought EAA.
    sorry if I offended anyone but this is just my humble opinion.

I just looked at the airshow performer list and it looks pretty good to me. What are you looking for?

If EAA does what worked 30 years ago, they will die. iPhones did not exist 30 years ago. Welcome to the 21st century.

And you are aware that none of the airshow performers at Oshkosh are paid right? They get hotel, gas, and smoke oil. It is a venue where they can showcase what they do, which generates bookings. And since most of them come our of the EAA community, it is an opportunity to fly for their friends and fans.

If I brought a child to Oshkosh, my only fear about getting separated would be finding them in the crowd, not whether they would be safe. And since it seems like every child now has a cell phone, I would just call them.

Best of luck,

Wes

I've also been attending for 20+ years and this year's air show lineup seems to be right in line with many other years. All the standard aerobatic acts, parachute teams, C-17, Heritage Flight, Warbirds of America, etc. There's a decent lineup of military aircraft scheduled to be on display. The aircraft and performers are no less impressive than in past years. The two night air shows plus the expansion of the Twilight Flight Fest provide even more air show entertainment than there has been in years past.

Yes, the opening night concert acts are less well known, but there is a strong country music fanbase in the area, and it will draw in some people that otherwise might not have gone. The middle-aged crowd that comes to Oshkosh is going to show up anyway for everything else offered during the week. As nice as it would be to rely on a passion for aviation to bring in younger people, that's not always going to get people to walk through the gate.

I agree that the Fly-In Theater lineup leaves something to be desired. Too many old films that aren't exactly widely known. Dunkirk is the only one that piques some interest. I fully expected The Last Jedi to be there, after showing Force Awakens and Rogue One the last two years. There isn't even a real kid/family option. I can understand showing one or two old aviation classics, but the rest of the films should be more popular and accessible.

The Monday night concert consists of artists that are fresh and very talented. I would just as soon not hear the Beach Boys again or another zombie band. Being a wanna-be musician, it is great to hear music I'm not as familiar with and to focus on the skill of the folks playing the instruments.

Well, here is the new acts/EAA AirVenture debuts that'll be happening at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2018. The rest of the acts have previously performed at this event.

NEW ACTS/ EAA AirVenture Debut:
    *New Act means that it is its first time appearing at EAA AirVenture. But, the performer previously performed at this event.
    *EAA AirVenture debut means that that particular performer has not perform at this event.
    *Nighttime debut means that this act has not performed during the EAA AirVenture night air show before.

*David Martin - 1963 Beechcraft 95-A55 Baron (NEW ACT)
    *Jeff Boerboon - 2017 Yakovlev YAK-110 (NEW ACT)
    *Vicky Benzing - Extra 300S (NEW ACT)
    *Jessy Panzer - Pitts S-1S (EAA AirVenture Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Kyle Fowler - 1986 Rutan Long-EZ (EAA AirVenture Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Aaron Fitzgerald - MBB Bo 105 (EAA AirVenture Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Nate Hammond - 1956 deHavilland DHC-1B-2-S5 (EAA AirVenture Debut, Nighttime Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Twin Tiger Aerobatic Team featuring Mark Sorenson & Buck Roetman - Yakovlev YAK-55M (Nighttime Debut)
    *Trojan Thunder - North American T-28 Trojans (EAA AirVenture Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Great Lakes Drone Company, LLC - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles/
    Drones (EAA AirVenture Debut, Nighttime Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Team CriCri - MC15 CriCri (EAA AirVenture Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Joshua Bordeaux - Van's RV-8A (EAA AirVenture Debut, NEW ACT)
    Last edited by FlyinAdamBadger; 08-04-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Sounds pretty good to me. if it goes through the air? How can it be bad?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinAdamBadger View Post
    Well, here is the new acts/EAA AirVenture debuts that'll be happening at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2018. The rest of the acts have previously performed at this event.

NEW ACTS/ EAA AirVenture Debut:
    *New Act means that it is its first time appearing at EAA AirVenture. But, the performer previously performed at this event.
    *EAA AirVenture debut means that that particular performer has not perform at this event.
    *Nighttime debut means that this act has not performed during the EAA AirVenture night air show before.

*David Martin - 1963 Beechcraft 95-A55 Baron (NEW ACT)
    *Jeff Boerboon - 2017 Yakovlev YAK-110 (NEW ACT)
    *Vicky Benzing - Extra 300S (NEW ACT)
    *Jessy Panzer - Pitts S-1S (EAA AirVenture Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Kyle Fowler - 1986 Rutan Long-EZ (EAA AirVenture Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Aaron Fitzgerald - MBB Bo 105 (EAA AirVenture Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Vertical Elite Skydivers - Skydiving/Parachute (EAA AirVenture Debut, Nighttime Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Nate Hammond - 1956 deHavilland DHC-1B-2-S5 (EAA AirVenture Debut, Nighttime Debut, NEW ACT)
    *Twin Tiger Aerobatic Team featuring Mark Sorenson & Buck Roetman - Yakovlev YAK-55M (Nighttime Debut)
    *Luca Bertossio - Glider (Nighttime Debut)
    Where did you get this from?

I just embarrassed the hell out of myself to Buck Roetman based on this.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

It's a list that I usually compile on my own based on my knowledge and it is pretty accurate. I'm an airshow fanatic as you can tell!

My apologies to everyone, it was just my humble opinion.
    Im glad that everyone is happy with the scheduled performers and maybe I’m in the wrong mindset this year.
    Have a great Oshkosh everyone!!

Realize that the big names of the past are often retired and/or deceased. Sean Tucker, for instance, has been pretty restricted for years compared to his youth. The good news is that there's a slew of new younguns coming up to replace the old hands.

Give me a traditional airshow guy any day. I hate the jet truck/monsters of destruction type of show. It's an airshow, not the state fair tractor pull.