Thread: Need help with the Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2011) (Helicopte

Need help with the Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2011) (Helicopte

Just started my kit build, and in addition to my builder's log, and photos, I wanted to start on the F&A Checklist. The notes are not clear (to me) on how to enter the "points". I understand there are a certain number of tasks in each category, but how does one take partial credit for a task?

For example, Task C1 "Fabricate Instrument Panel, Sub Panels, Brackets and Fittings". The kit provides a blank formed instrument panel that would be considered a Column A Mfr Kit/Part/Component. But, I also have to drill holes, make the cut outs, fab brackets, etc. to make this a finished part, so how do I take credit for a portion of the fab?

Can someone point me to an example of how this form is completed? Thanks much,
    Dick

First of all, what kit are you building? Has the kit been evaluated by the FAA (either the new National Kit Evaluation Team, or the old Form 8000.38)? In other words, is the kit already listed on the FAA's list of evaluated kits found at this web site: https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/...it_listing.pdf

If it has already been evaluated, then you don't have to fill out the checklist individually, as the kit manufacturer will already have this info on file. (The completed checklists can also be found on the FAA website: https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/...its/nket_list/ )

If the kit has NOT been evaluated, then it will be to your advantage to fill out the checklist as best you can. You can use the guidance found in FAA's "job aid" that talks about using the checklist: https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/...st_Job_Aid.pdf

The FAA's definition of "fabrication" can be found in FAA Order 8130.2J, and reads as follows:

"Fabrication is defined as to perform work on any article such as layout, bending, countersinking, straightening, cutting, sewing, gluing/bonding, layup, forming, shaping, trimming, drilling, deburring, machining, applying protective coatings, surface preparation and priming, riveting, welding or heat treating, and transforming the article toward or into its finished state."

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions you can contact me directly at EAA HQ. Just call and ask for Joe Norris.
    Cheers!

Joe

Thank you, Joe! The PDF was exactly what I was looking for.

The kit has not been evaluated. It is a Mosquito XE285 helicopter provided by Composite FX.

This made me chuckle as I was bug-eyed from the "quick build" examples shown:

"These scores represent an amateur builder constructing a fuselage structure and bulkhead from from plans using raw materials with no commercial assistance. (Yes, it’s still done.)"

Yes, yes it is.

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.