Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boeing Go-Fly Prize

An alternative may be the recently announced Agility Prime competition sponsored by the United States Air Force.

Agility Prime

WHAT IS AGILITY PRIME
    The Air Force recently launched Agility Prime, a non-traditional program seeking to accelerate the commercial market for advanced air mobility vehicles (i.e., "flying cars").

Leveraging unique testing resources and revenue generating government use cases for distributed logistics and disaster response, the government plans to mitigate current commercial market and regulatory risks.

Agility Prime also aims to bring together industry, investor, and government communities to establish safety and security standards while accelerating commercialization of this revolutionary technology.

The Innovative Capabilities Opening, below, establishes a rapid contracting mechanism beginning in 2020 with a “Race to Certification” series to drive government procurement of operational capability by 2023.

Last edited by Scooper; 06-06-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added quote from Agility Prime website
    - Stan Cooper (K4DRD), Private Pilot ASEL, LSR-I, EAA 115792 Lifetime Member, EAA Chapter 124
    Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B, N601KE, KSTS

Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    An alternative may be the recently announced Agility Prime competition sponsored by the United States Air Force.

Agility Prime

Thank you .... that is a really exciting project

We passed on GoFly mostly because it was obvious that no one was going to be able to meet the criteria, some of which had to be met to avoid disqualification. The rules didn't make any sense given the state of the current battery technology. I also see a trend of ignoring individual or very small groups without deep industrial or academic support. The Wright Brothers wouldn't stand a chance in today's technology grand prize competitions.

We did apply for the Agility Prime in spite of their absolute focus on electric VTOL. At this time battery technology precludes success of a useful vehicle without adding a hybrid feature. Also, there are possible ultraSTOL possibilities that require far less installed horsepower to get off the ground than with propeller lift alone.

I strongly suspect we will continue or research on our own dime.

Vince Homer

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    We passed on GoFly mostly because it was obvious that no one was going to be able to meet the criteria, some of which had to be met to avoid disqualification. The rules didn't make any sense given the state of the current battery technology. I also see a trend of ignoring individual or very small groups without deep industrial or academic support. The Wright Brothers wouldn't stand a chance in today's technology grand prize competitions.
    Well...shoot, they didn't NEED to, did they? They funded their experimentation, prototypes, and travel from the profits of their own small business, built their successful invention quietly, hired lawyers to sew up the rights to their IP, and changed the world without a "technology grand prize competition." Didn't take government money until they delivered an aircraft compliant with a government RFP.

Developing a vehicle that exceeds the GoFly criteria WITHOUT being a formal competitor will shame the organization more than complaining about them on aviation forums.

Ron Wanttaja

I agree with you.winning depend on the merit rather then the galmour of a design.