Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unwelcome warbird?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I think the Albatross owner was mistaken or more likely feeding you a line, unless it was a case of running out of parking space rof the larger planes i warbirds. I think he probably had some grievance against warbird division of EAA. There are many planes that were legitimate types in former military useage, that dont have military paint,. There are some T-6s, some T-34s, and even a few Mustangs that had civilian paint, etc. On the other hand, puting a miltary paint scheme on a plane does not make it a warbird.
    I dont see why it is such a big issue for some people.
    WELCOMED WARBIRD

No we weren’t feeding Chris or Flying Ron a line....at least not on the WB parking. (Grin)

I don’t know if Chris’ posting here made a difference but the next time we talked with Warbirds we got a much more welcoming answer. We have no grievance with Warbirds and they have always been very helpful. We had hoped to arrive on Sunday but, as happens, we are now delayed and planning to arrive Thursday.

Come on over and see an ex-Navy HU-16C Albatross. We will be the big White and Blue airplane in a sea of Camo and polished aluminum. Come chat with us about out plan to recreate the first airborne crossing of the Atlantic next May. https://www.facebook.com/SeaplaneCrossings/

Ted

EAA
    Warbirds
    Vintage
    Last edited by TedK; 07-24-2018 at 04:21 PM.

REALLY WELCOMED WARBIRD

Unfoetunately we didn’t get to OSH till after Thursday’s airshow but we had absolutely superb hosting in Warbirds. Thank you to all the WB Volunteers that got us parked, registered, over to WB Camping, and just plain made to feel like royal guests.

THANKS!

To paraphrase Arnold, “We’ll be back!”

The crew of Pegasus
    Grumman HU-16 Albatross N1955G

It's a bit late now, but if you ever have a gripe or question about Warbirds, I'd suggest emailing or calling their head Connie Bowlin. I had a nice long conversation with her on the phone last year over an issue that wasn't even a warbird issue (it was a general EAA issue and since she also serves on the EAA board I had reached out to her). She's done a lot of good stuff up there and she's willing to have a friendly conversation.

(Also got a nice callback from Michael Goulian on the IAC side).

Ted,

I was exceptionally happy to see the Albatross parked on the line at Warbirds. Very impressive and a GREAT addition. Saw you take off before I had a chance to come by and say hi.

Chris
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Ted the story and even the title starts off as the plane being "unwelcome" and excluded in the Warbirds parking area. I wrote that I was dubious about that claim as I never heard of any genuine ex military type plane not being allowed to park there, in my 34 years at EAA, and in fact I had a T-34 there for about 10 years and it had civilian paint style. So, yes I thought anyone making this claim was bending the truth, but that was denied. So now in post 11 above they write of how happy they were to park in warbirds. So which is it, which story is fact, either they were accepted and parked in warbirds or they didn't. I dont run warbirds, am just a member, but I often hear criticism of them , sometime legitimate sometimes just a mistake or prejudice. If the initial claim was not true I think an apology and retraction is the way to go.