Thread: Best route from Southern California?

Best route from Southern California?

Wanting to take my 5th wheel to Oshkosh this year. I am in Southern California. MapQuest takes me up through Denver with an alternate route through Salt Lake City. Seems like it might be better to go lower, to avoid the mountain climbing, maybe on the HWY 40 through Oaklohoma and then up. Would that be better even if it takes a few more hours?

Darrell Whiteaker
    President - Volmer Club of America

How far 'south' in CA? My daughter and I drove from San Diego to Chicago a several years ago using the AZ, NM,TX, AR, MO, IL route. Very few if any hills.

Get your kicks on Route 66!

Banned
    Scrap Mapquest and download and use Google Maps with the Ways app. It will provide best/fastest route as well as provide traffic and construction go-arounds.

Taking Route 66 is only good if you want to take a week to get there and only fun if you're driving a red '66 Corvette convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Scrap Mapquest and download and use Google Maps with the Ways app. It will provide best/fastest route as well as provide traffic and construction go-arounds.

Taking Route 66 is only good if you want to take a week to get there and only fun if you're driving a red '66 Corvette convertible.
    Do you mean the Waze App?

Banned
    Yup. Not always hip to cool, trendy spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    Wanting to take my 5th wheel to Oshkosh this year. I am in Southern California. MapQuest takes me up through Denver with an alternate route through Salt Lake City. Seems like it might be better to go lower, to avoid the mountain climbing, maybe on the HWY 40 through Oaklohoma and then up. Would that be better even if it takes a few more hours?

Darrell Whiteaker
    President - Volmer Club of America

Check out what I plan to do. If I were you and there's not too much construction, I'd get to I40, go to OKC then follow what I'm looking at.

The Continental divide on I-40 is 7200 feet. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...ide_New_Mexico
    Not much difference any route, I think.

I-40 through Arizona isn't a bad route..about the only real steep climb would be going up I-17 north of Phoenix if you took I-10 across from California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make the trip in my motorhome from the central coast of CA to Oshkosh; great trip but long. I take I15 north than I70E. (I don't like the climb around Salt Lake) Just before Denver, pick up I76E pretty easy. Then, into Nebraska and pick up I80E. Take I80 east to Des Moines and head north on I35 to pick up I90E. This keeps you out of Illinois; I80 can be a mess in Illinois (I'm from Illinois; been there, done that). Take 90E and you will have to take a short jog up to 21 than straight shot into Oshkosh. Lots of different routs; this one has worked for me many times. I have my stops along the way and never pay for any camping the entire trip. Great way to travel and helps off set the cost of gas. With no camping fees and eating all my meals in the motorhome en-rout it helps a lot with the cost.
    Marty