Thread: OKC to OSH

OKC to OSH

We drive our motorhome to OSH every year. We're leaving OKC July 13 this year.
    For the past 15 years, we've gone up I44 to St. Louis, then North on I55/39 to Madison, then HWYs 151 & 41 on into Oshkosh. We know this route really well. We have a logbook with all the rest stops, places we like or not, exit nos. and anything else beneficial to us.

This year though, we're thinking of going the Kansas City route to avoid the major road construction SW of Tulsa, and St. Louis altogether.

We're thinking about going North on I35 to Kansas City, take I435 around the south side of KC, then go on North on I35 to Des Moines, take I80 East to I39 then as usual on to OSH.

For those of you that live in these areas, or travel these roads, know of any major road work or hazards I should be aware of? I use/drive the interstate as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    We drive our motorhome to OSH every year. We're leaving OKC July 13 this year.
    For the past 15 years, we've gone up I44 to St. Louis, then North on I55/39 to Madison, then HWYs 151 & 41 on into Oshkosh. We know this route really well. We have a logbook with all the rest stops, places we like or not, exit nos. and anything else beneficial to us.

This year though, we're thinking of going the Kansas City route to avoid the major road construction SW of Tulsa, and St. Louis altogether.

We're thinking about going North on I35 to Kansas City, take I435 around the south side of KC, then go on North on I35 to Des Moines, take I80 East to I39 then as usual on to OSH.

For those of you that live in these areas, or travel these roads, know of any major road work or hazards I should be aware of? I use/drive the interstate as much as possible.
    We live near Joplin...we take 36 at Cameron(N o KC) across to near Hannibal then N to Mt Pleasant...to Iowa City...N to Dubuque then 151 through Madison to Oshkosh. All four lane and not a lot of traffic....I80 is a busy road with wall to wall trucks.....We have tried all routes since Rockford in the sixties and this is the best for us...we don't rush and enjoy the trip! We really try to avoid Illinois! Hope to see you there!

Avoid Illinois? What? You got something against crappy superhighways, horrid traffic, high gas taxes, abundant potholes and mafia-like toll fees? Jeepers...… lol

Quote Originally Posted by lynnlpitts View Post
    We live near Joplin...we take 36 at Cameron(N o KC) across to near Hannibal then N to Mt Pleasant...to Iowa City...N to Dubuque then 151 through Madison to Oshkosh. All four lane and not a lot of traffic....I80 is a busy road with wall to wall trucks.....We have tried all routes since Rockford in the sixties and this is the best for us...we don't rush and enjoy the trip! We really try to avoid Illinois! Hope to see you there!

I'll check this route out. Thanks

And if you go as Lynn says, Dyersville IA is not the far off the freeway; go visit the Field of Dreams. Very nice; low pressure. If you're into that kind of thing, that is...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    And if you go as Lynn says, Dyersville IA is not the far off the freeway; go visit the Field of Dreams. Very nice; low pressure. If you're into that kind of thing, that is...

Interesting.....my wife sort of likes that kind of stuff.

We take this route to and from Kansas city many times every year......leave Des Moines on 80 as usual.......then take 380 North to 151....151 will take you thru Depuque all the way up to 41 to OSH....it is very easy, and some nice scenery once you get out of Iowa and into Wisco.

Wisco native here so I may be biased on the views.

And that "Avoid Illinois" stuff....take that as GOSPEL!

Might want to consider running old Route 66 part of the way.

Thumbs Up Preferred Overnight RV Parks on the way up?

With this route what RV parks do you stay at on the way up? We are leaving out of DFW July 18th. Our first over night will be near Joplin at the Coachlight RV park in Carthage.

I did check this route out. I like it, except I'll take I35 straight through KC to 36. Then proceed with this route. Since we have a motorhome, we just overnight in a parking lot or rest area somewhere.