Thread: First Timer Question

First Timer Question

2018 will be my first ever AirVenture and I am very excited! I am camping in Scholler and plan to arrive early Sunday 7/22 morning. I will be tent camping with very little extra stuff. What are my chances of camping east of Dollitle Rd? I am wanting to get as far east in the camp as possible.

You would be lucky to be east of Stits. A more realistic goal that can still save you a lot of steps is getting closer Schaick. That way it is at least a straight shot to the flightline.
    Last edited by mazdaP5; 06-11-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Lots of great info on 'first-timing' is available with a quick forum search. EVERY visitor to AirVenture IMHO comes away knowing that one NEEDS a good big-brimmed hat, sunscreen, lightweight rain gear and fantastic walking/hiking footwear (because the venue is at least twice a big as you now think it's going to be) Side note... buses and trams are your friends.

I have grown fond of Frogg Toggs UIltralight rain suits. Low cost, very low weight, the fabric breathes and they work well to keep you dry...… cuz it most likely IS gonna rain/down pour at least once and the raingear needs to be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Lots of great info on 'first-timing' is available with a quick forum search. EVERY visitor to AirVenture IMHO comes away knowing that one NEEDS a good big-brimmed hat, sunscreen, lightweight rain gear and fantastic walking/hiking footwear (because the venue is at least twice a big as you now think it's going to be) Side note... buses and trams are your friends.

I have grown fond of Frogg Toggs UIltralight rain suits. Low cost, very low weight, the fabric breathes and they work well to keep you dry...… cuz it most likely IS gonna rain/down pour at least once and the raingear needs to be with you.

Randy, you forgot to mention a good set of ear plugs because of tractor noise, loud flyovers and jokes from conductors.

LOL - Put in plugs? I'll joke louder - lol

But seriously? I'm bringing some Howard Leight headband foam plugs for some of the planes and that doggone Jack Link's deafening jet biplane.... man I hate that thing....lol

Actually, Earplugs are a pretty good idea, especially for tenting. I won't say that the campground is loud, but it's not quiet like wilderness camping, as there are generators, a highway, and ten thousand other campers. I started bringing earplugs a few years ago after they played a silent movie with live old timey piano way later than I hit the sack.

I get there Friday am before the show and camp west of sunset. Most of the sites east of Dolittle are electric or electric and water reserved sites, or generator sites, or are used by volunteers who may have been there for weeks. There are shuttles that run every few minutes but I bring a bike. And I have found that MAC'S ear plugs work the best. I camp solo and would be of assistance if you have any other questions