Thread: Suggestions for new IAC website.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Suggestions for new IAC website.

I was a CD for many years in the NE and one thing I thought would have been very helpful was some sort of "clearing house" of ideas on how to run a contest. Not just the basic info you get with the IAC package but more specific. &nbsp;Like how do you make a boundary sighting device or what have you tried that was successful in gaining new membership.&nbsp;<br><br>There are a lot of very talented people out there working on the Regional contest level. I am sure there is a wealth of ideas that would make the contests much more interesting and enjoyable. &nbsp;The latest Sport Aerobatics talks about loosing the "party atmosphere" in the contest banquets. We always tried to make it a very entertaining evening. Plaques and trophies for the obvious events but some "more thoughtful" awards also. Film or slide shows on the weekend activities was also a big hit. I always tried to bring as much humor to the program as possible and make it an event worth having. &nbsp;We made it a tradition to meet every pilot as they landed with a bottle of water and a hand shake. &nbsp;We even had a little "red carpet" we placed down as they got out of the airplane. &nbsp;It's the little things that add up and pretty soon you start getting a lot of people "showing up". &nbsp;In 2010 I think we had 54 competitors at the Kathy Jaffe Challenge.&nbsp;<br><br>Regional contests are a thankless job. &nbsp;It takes a nucleus of very dedicated people to make a contest a real success. &nbsp;The people in Chapter 52 are some of the finest in the business. &nbsp;Two contests a year, a world class website, judges schools and organized practices. It is always about the people. &nbsp;<br><br>This is a great sport and I realize that it is hard on the "wallet" and getting harder everyday. &nbsp;I always thought of a Contest as a party and bring an airplane along if you have one. &nbsp;Show the competitors and non competitors alike that you are in it for them. &nbsp;Give them as many reasons to participate as you can think of. &nbsp;The IAC website should have a place for those "reasons".<br><br>My last point is about "giving back". &nbsp;One of the things we tried to do at the banquet is feature a speaker. &nbsp;Preferably someone related to aerobatics and I must say we were not very successful. &nbsp;I realize that most of the top airshow pilots today have a pretty full plate, but I don't think they understand just how much of a role model they really are to the weekend competitor. &nbsp;I don't expect someone like Sean Tucker to start going to Regional contests any time soon but I am sure it would &nbsp;increase participation. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience out there that will be shared by only a select few. &nbsp;What a great forum to motivate a new competitor. <br><br>Ron Chadwick&nbsp;<br><br><br><br>
    Last edited by Ron Chadwick; 11-19-2011 at 01:32 AM.