Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More on Airplane paint?

I would look for "100 percent Acrylic" on the label. If it says latex I wouldn't buy it.

I used house paint on my whole airplane, so a few of my observations:

1) Using floteral is pretty much a must for some colors, or it won't flow nicely. I write some colors, as it seemed that the brown I used just wouldn't flow right without it.

2) I've pour a LOT of gasoline, both automotive and aviation, onto the paint. Never left a mark or faded the paint. One does need to go back after it with a damp sponge once it's cleared, as there will be a small film or sheen, just it does to everything.

3) On metal, it's all about the etch and the prep. The parts where I didn't display due diligence in carefully cleaning and lightly running a Scotch pad over (or let my fingerprints get all over it), there is some delamination. Being house paint, it doesn't flake off, but can make a little area where one can move the paint around a little.

4) What one gets out of it is what one puts into it. Sanding between coats until they are smooth, not doing it when it's a hundred and five with 100 percent humidity, etc., can give a really awesome paint job. I didn't much care all that much, so I've got a nice aerodynamically pleasing orange peel to my finish. Hey, dimples make golf balls fly farther, don't they?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.