Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More on Airplane paint?

More on Airplane paint?

First I want to thank everyone who replied to my last post. I learned a lot and saved a lot of time. A couple more questions on paint. I saw several aircraft that were painted with a water based paint and i think it was a "Stewart" based system? And then some put a 2 part urethane clear coat over that for gloss and protection. Any comments on that? I know I can add a plasticizer and a de-glosser if i want to the clear coat. Also does anyone know how to lay out a checkerboard pattern on a wing similar to this photo? Squares I can do. But I would like an idea on how this could be done.The pattern is kind of wavy. Could be a vinyl print but I don't want o use vinyl. Thanks Chuck B.

Vinyl is your best option for a color scheme similar to the one in the photo, but if you insist on painting the checkerboard you might consider a vinyl mask. Paint the base color then a apply a "negative" vinyl mask and shoot the checkerboard color.

But I would use vinyl for the whole job....opens up some incredible graphics possibilities.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

That would take time but can be done with ordinary 3M masking tape.* Just paint the white and then lay out the stripes with masking tape. Mark the spacing and apply the vertical tape lines free hand and mask all the white as usual.

*my opinion as a former aircraft paint shop owner.

This was done with exterior household latex, and he describes how he achieved a perfect checkerboard:

[edit]

The process is the same as in a checkerboard, just with a bunch more planning involved.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    That would take time but can be done with ordinary 3M masking tape.* Just paint the white and then lay out the stripes with masking tape. Mark the spacing and apply the vertical tape lines free hand and mask all the white as usual.

*my opinion as a former aircraft paint shop owner.
    Thanks for the reply. i didn't get a notification there was a reply. Yeah, that was my idea also. Sounds hard to get both sides the same. And I have 4 wings. The paint was done with latex. I thought about that also. Do you know if fuel will affect latex? Mine will have wing tanks and any spilled would be on the fabric. Of course you areen't supposed to spill it.
    Last edited by chuckb01; 06-08-2018 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    This was done with exterior household latex, and he describes how he achieved a perfect checkerboard:

[edit]

The process is the same as in a checkerboard, just with a bunch more planning involved.
    Really cool looking plane. I like thjat a lot!

Here's a nice one done in latex. And polished. Could be a lot of work polishing.

Another acrylic (formerly known as latex) paint job:

I don't know about resistance to fuel spills but it is showing good resistance to oil from the crankcase vent. This is the third flying season and the paint still looks new.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 06-08-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Sam Buchanan

I suspect Acrylic (latex is incorrect) is fuel resistant for spills that evaporate. A continuos drip might be damaging.
    Acrylic should be fine if the extreme gloss that lasts isn't needed.
    The extreme gloss comes with high cost, both in dollars and health issues. I paint outside only with Polyurethane now because of sensitivity.
    Acrylic may not stick to metal parts as well as oil based. The tradition was dope for fabric and oil base enamel for the metal on certificated aircraft.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 06-08-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Yes, acrylic is the correct term, but if I mention acrylic house paint most folks don't know what that is.

I agree there are better choices than acrylic for metal. I used a general purpose enamel (tractor and implement) for the metal on the Fokker. The semi-gloss house paint I used was a good match for the vintage fabric look. I unintentionally found that thinning the enamel with mineral spirits for spraying toned down the normal high gloss to a more appropriate satin gloss.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 06-08-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    Sam Buchanan