Several people have questioned if we need both EAA and AOPA, and have regreted that in some ways EAA seems to be becoming less unique and more commericaly oriented like AOPA.

I think we need both groups, although they overlap at times, there are separate and distict functions. Most of all, they are both affordable, less than $100, which can easily be wasted on a day of golf or an hour in Vegas, will get you membership in both, including both magazines.

I very much support AOPA, $39 to join is nothing, and they do a lot of good lobbying and safety and instrucional programs and research. If we can't fly at all or have less and less airports to fly into, then it hurts us even if we have a Pitts or a P-51 or a B-17 to fly. They are the larger and more general organization, and perhaps will catch a little less media, both good and bad than the more unusual aspects of EAA.

To me, EAA represents the more fun side of flying, that of doing it for sport, more than commerce or even just for transportation.

One unique program that EAA has is Young Eagles, that of giving a private airplane ride to young people, (think is it about 8 to 17 or so) that have not had this kind of experience.

AOPA doesn't do this. They used to have a great "Pinch Hitter" course that included real flying with expert CFIs, but somehow someone talked them out of this on the grounds of too much liabilty. I never heard of a single accident under their program, but they quit all the flying nontheless. Now it is all classroom, it is all talk, still has some value, but a shadow of what it once was. The program now is like the field goal kicker talking about how to block a linebacker.
It is quite one thing to tell someone in a classroom how they can land a plane, even if they are a non pilot, and vastly different to have them actually go and land the plane, several times, at the end of a 2 day course. Then they KNOW, they can do it, and some go on the be pilots.

EAA does real flying, even if brief, with the young people, and I think almost everyone lets the kids actual fly with dual controls. Once again, doing it, not just talking about it. I had one kid who thought he was afraid to touch the controls, but I don't take no for an answer on that, and he flew for about 10 minutes, then when he got out of the plane after landing, he stands on the wing walk, throws his hands up in the air like Rocky on those steps and yells to the is friend, "I flew the plane." We have a photo of that, one of my favorites.
The last count I read, EAA had flown over 1 1/2 million kids, and best of all, it was almost all safe. I only know of one fatality with the program. We can fly safely when we make that our priority.
So at the very least we have a huge number of kids who had fun at the airport and with planes, and who at least are more likely to be on the side of gen aviation when they get to be voting age. And I know we took some of the parents flying also, like when I had a back seat open. I once was getting ready to land, and heard someone talking in the back seat. I looked back and it is the Dad on his cell phone calling his friend to tell him that the Dad is up in the air.
The great thing is if we now could somehow shift some of the focus to get some of the older kids, perhaps 14-17 to actually start their flight lessons and become pilots. Do it then, not some time in the future.
I wish more pilots were actually willing to do these rides, there are an awful lot who can find every excuse not to. And EAA requires a chapter sponsor, and in my area the largest chapter, in Erie, intentionally schedules as to compete with our nearby airport day. A local IAC chapter refused to be a sponsor, so we may not be able to do the rides this year.

I know Steve Buss to be a nice guy and he has worked for a long time on Young Eagles. I hope Steve is still with EAA>
I have never met Jeff Skiles, he seems to be a good guy and may be a good admin head of the program. But like Harrison Ford, he really is not likely to be the guy who is at the forefront of young peoples focus. I don't know who that person would be. Maybe we can hope that Justin Beiber or Milley Cirus becomes a pilot and joins EAA.