Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why fly-in breakfasts ?

Or maybe it was Wilbur and Orville who liked pancakes more than sandwiches.
    This has my vote.

My first thought when reading the title of the thread was "because that's what they've always done."
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    I won't claim to know the history of fly-in breakfasts, but the reasons given sound about right. Our chapter holds our regular meeting on the 3rd Monday of the month @ 7:30 in the evening. When the days are long and the weather is nice we get some fly-in traffic. Our pancakes are on the Saturday following the meeting and we get a pretty good turnout even when flying is not an option. When the weather is nice we always get at least a few flying in.

While not an EAA function, there is an aviation booster club in Ponca City, Oklahoma that puts on an excellent breakfast the first Saturday of each month. The often serve over 400 people and occasionally have as many as 100 airplanes on the ramp.

Mark:
    Sounds like this Saturday is pancke day, right? I may try to come over if the weather is good.

Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    Mark:
    Sounds like this Saturday is pancke day, right? I may try to come over if the weather is good.

Marshall
    Actually Marshall, we've canceled pancakes this month because it fell on Thanksgiving weekend. Sorry. Pancakes will start back up at chapter 10 in January... hope you can come join us sometime.

Mark

Why not

I guess I do not understand the big deal. I have been flying to FIBs for 30+ years. I leave the ground and use the talents GOD has given me. I do not need a reason to go anywhere or do anything in my birds. We all learned to fly by CHOICE. Wherever or whenever we choose to break the bonds of earth is truly a matter of CHOICE.
    FIBs are great fund raisers for flying clubs, EAA chapters, AOPA groups, Charities, FBOs, all sorts of public endeavors. Many I have attended are private airport owners that just like to have their friends together to enjoy a meal as a group. Don't expect all things to be done for a particular reason. Ride the air and enjoy.

while not actually an EAA chapter

While not actually an EAA chapter, Pegasus Airpark in Arizona (5az3) tried the 'FLYOUT' style and it worked great. About 30 aircraft left at 8:00am and headed to the Coolidge "Fly-In" Pancake breakfast. The reverse order of flight worked well since it allowed family members of people with two seater's to hop in the spare seats of the big birds with empty seats. Besides, you got to meet neighbors at the '8:00am' coffee gathering before takeoff. Normally, in the 45 or so hangers we have you may never run across your neighbor, this way you get to meet them and fly alongside them to the destination airport. The only mistake I made was I was the slowest bird in the flock and I got to leave last! But we all stayed on a common frequency and watched out for one another.

On the other side of the coin, Steller Airpark has a nice group to 'flyout' when we have our Airpark pancake 'fly-in'..

This is a video of our second fly-in :

Thanks...ED C

In our case, the flying club owns the airport and leases hangar building space to hangar owners for 'so much a square foot'. Basically this pays the expenses, taxes, etc. for the airport. The fly/drive/walk/in breakfast is for community exposure and relations. We also do the Young Eagles event in cooperation with the local EAA Chapter. Works well for both of us.
    www.vikingflyingclub.community.officelive.com
    Mike

For us, the pancake breakfast is more a community involvement event than anything. While we do have folks that fly in for breakfast, we sell 90+ percent of our meals to folks in the community. It's more about getting the folks in our little city to realize that yes, we do have an airport, and that it's pretty cool! Everyone really seems to enjoy seeing the airplanes that fly in, as well as local contributors, like the medical center helicopter, police and fire, etc.

With that in mind, would we have more of each, attendees and pilots/aircraft, if one were to move it to the middle of the day? That's a good question. I've been to Chicken-cues in the summer, and the only folks that attended were pilots and planes (not that it's a bad thing), and nary a community member. So I guess it depends on the intent of the event. The Upper Midwest seems to thrive on pancakes! :-)

~Chris

I always look at it like: Eating ANY time of the day is a GREAT excuse to fly!
    Nothing like getting out early in the morning and firing up the RV!
    Nordo

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Buss View Post
    Mick,

I would agreee that the morning weather likely contributed to the popularity of the fly-in breakfast and as pointed out earlier, you have the remainder of the day for other activites. Or maybe it was Wilbur and Orville who liked pancakes more than sandwiches. This one may be lost to aviation foklore.

But one thought did occur while reading the thread. Has any chapter (or chapters) teamed up with another chapter in the area to hold two events on the same day, one chapter hosts a fly-in breakfast and the other a lunch. Just wondering.

Steve
    At our Board Meeting a couple weeks ago, Chapter 307 actually discussed the idea of a "progressive dinner" type event in the area. It would likely start in the early-afternoon (or might even be all day) and involve up three local airports. We haven't really worked out the details but it was an interesting idea that came up.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website