Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biplane Accident on I-80 in Wyoming

That's probably the most honest answer I could expect - functional fixedness driving one towards a long paved surface.

Bill, I guess because I've already flipped my little biplane it doesn't scare me in the least to put it down on a field - where it will end up on it's back. Better than meeting a semi truck going seventy, though.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Why do they always say it was a "Crash" ? He was making an emergency landing and there was an obstacle in the flight path ! Just like Harrison Ford, "crashed on the golf course". No he didn't, he made an emergency landing and walked away just like this guy ! Perhaps a bit more slowly !
    Bob
    So if I depart the highway and drive into some trees I can say that I was just making a destination deviation and not consider it as being a crash?

I think a fast glide to the median then slowly merge to the traffic lane and touchdown at highway speed.
    My low wing is not good upside down. The canopy won't open.

Haha! Not an option for me - highway speed is faster than my cruise. Heck, I stall at the same speed limit for exits.
    ;0
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro99 View Post
    So if I depart the highway and drive into some trees I can say that I was just making a destination deviation and not consider it as being a crash?

The driver, (or pilot) is the one that is ultimately responsible, call it what you want ! If you survive that is ! If you don't survive, someone else will make the call !
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Vision401 View Post
    It's a crash. The plane's wings are totaled. He "crashed" into a truck hauling pigs. If it wasn't a crash there would be no damage.
    Well, let's see, I backed my truck into a tree in my friends yard and there was damage, down the side of my truck. But, I did not wreck, or "Crash" my vehicle, there was damage that needed repair but no loss of control, no prevailing circumstance, other than me being blind in one eye, but in no way did I crash. I guess it's all in how you look at it, and being blind in one eye, I kinda look at it with my head cocked to one side.
    Bob

Robert, if you had a "crash " in your truck, you could refer to it as a "controlled contact". It reminds me of an old WC Fields movie, for those who dont know he was a very funny comedian from the silent film days. In films like real life he liked to drink.
    It starts when he gets in his classic luxury open touring car, perhaps a Rolls even, you can tell he's had a few and he has a few more as he drives out of town to go picnic in the county with his girl.
    He sees a fine estate property, elegant mansion, curving driveway, and large grounds with fine statues in the yard. Fields ignores the "Private" sign and speeds through the gate and out across the grass and smashes one of the fine statues to pieces without even slowing down.
    He exclaims to the girl, " Damn fool ran right out in front of me.:
    Most likely that neighbors tree ran right into your path.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    That's probably the most honest answer I could expect - functional fixedness driving one towards a long paved surface.
    This is a real thing! When I used to fly in central Wisconsin, I'd give flight reviews out over the huge farm fields. Flat ground in all directions just about as far as you could see. I'd be flying with a pilot and give him or her a simulated engine failure. The pilot would invariably line up on some little ditch bank or narrow road, while ignoring the thousands of acres of flat fields on all sides of the airplane! Those fields didn't resemble a runway. The ditch bank or road did. Happened time after time.

Not me! I will only pick a road as a last resort. Too many wires, sign posts, mail boxes, traffic, etc. A big, flat field is much more inviting, and much safer in most cases. Now, of course this is from a guy who does most of his flying in the upper midwest. LOTS of flat ground around here. In other parts of the country maybe not so much. Your mileage may vary and all that!!
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Robert, if you had a "crash " in your truck, you could refer to it as a "controlled contact". It reminds me of an old WC Fields movie, for those who dont know he was a very funny comedian from the silent film days. In films like real life he liked to drink.
    It starts when he gets in his classic luxury open touring car, perhaps a Rolls even, you can tell he's had a few and he has a few more as he drives out of town to go picnic in the county with his girl.
    He sees a fine estate property, elegant mansion, curving driveway, and large grounds with fine statues in the yard. Fields ignores the "Private" sign and speeds through the gate and out across the grass and smashes one of the fine statues to pieces without even slowing down.
    He exclaims to the girl, " Damn fool ran right out in front of me.:
    Most likely that neighbors tree ran right into your path.
    Bill, I love the old B&W movies, W.C. Fields, May West, all that stuff. Little Rascals and the Stooges too ! But that tree, well, it's just in a bad place, but as conservative as I am, I wouldn't cut it either ! It was my fault, because of my bad eye of course, but it still wasn't a crash ! LOL