Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA Board of Directors - a lack of diversity

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Nice speech. But the laws of nature and physics have diddily squat to do with diversity initiatives which are created and administered by progressive HUMAN BEINGS.
    Floats, a couple of other times in this thread, you've disagreed with people about diversity vs affirmative action vs a meritocracy. But you haven't offered your definition of diversity, or why you think it it is better or just different than affirmative action or a meritocracy which is blind to race/gender/whatever. Can you expand your ideas so I (we?) understand where you're coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Floats, a couple of other times in this thread, you've disagreed with people about diversity vs affirmative action vs a meritocracy. But you haven't offered your definition of diversity, or why you think it it is better or just different than affirmative action or a meritocracy which is blind to race/gender/whatever. Can you expand your ideas so I (we?) understand where you're coming from?
    I've tried to stay out of the mud with the pigs :-), but these are good questions that deserve a reasoned answer. Here's mine - floatflyer may have other reasoning:

Here are some articles with links to actual studies and data that indicate the advantages to companies of diversity:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/240550
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ekateri.../#42fb5a042a8f
    https://www.mckinsey.com/business-fu...ersity-matters
    https://www.inc.com/ian-altman/5-rea...-business.html

There are many more, and these are NOT progressive/left wing publications - they're business publications, and wouldn't promote something that wasn't good for business.

If you view the EAA as a business (which is something that has been complained about here - that it's too MUCH of a business), then diversity can only help the organization grow and be successful, whatever you might think about the moral or ethical values involved. While my progressive side sees value in diversity in and of itself, my capitalist side sees diversity as an opportunity for a more successful business. The facts support the notion that more diverse organizations are more successful.

And I'll ignore "steve"'s poke at liberals on what is supposed to be a non-political forum - we're discussing diversity here, not politics. They're not the same thing.

It's not either or, in other words we dont have to choose a good mind only in old white men, as opposed to a lesser candidate in a woman or other then white man. I m sure there are plenty of bright businesswomen or minorities that would be good on the board. If you think women or somehow inferior youve probably never given fair credit to how hard being a Mother is or how hard it is to clean up the disasters men make.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Flunkn View Post
    SJW. I'm sorry to hear that....
    I want you to Tell that to my 8 year old friend Jack who witnessed his Dad murder his mom as a 5 year old and has since started smiling and laughing since joining floats Fishing and fun. Get real Kurt and be a part of the soultion and not what’s wrong with our country. Happy to take ya up for some serious 182 Amphib time. We’ll fly in this year on Thursday and you can meet Jack in person.

Banned
    To Steve and your #61 post: Edit: I see that our overseer has rightfully and correctly removed your post. Wish they could also remove your attitude.

Thank you for your insightful, intelligent and well-informed contribution to the conversation.

I'm very pleased to advise you that you have been unanimously awarded a Darwin Award. Congratulations, you deserve it.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 06-22-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    In summation, diversity for the sake of diversity doesn't fly here.
    Attachment 7318
    Hi Steve, I agree completely that diversity just for the sake of diversity makes no sense. The most qualified person for the job regardless of anything else is just common sense. At the same time that Billboard is just stupid. It’s telling a ton of people with a lot of green money to take their money and spend it elsewhere and believe me, they will. That doesn’t help anyone at all in the Great State of Texas.

I’m what that Billboard is referring to as a “Liberal” but above all else, I’m a proud American. My Grandfather earned a Bronze Star and French Croix de Guerre in the ETO in WWII. He was part of the American Task Force that liberated Dachau Concentration Camp. He also was tasked with rounding up Aero Space Medical Equipment from the Nazis before his Russian Counterparts could liberate it. On one of his missions he came across a Nazi Battalion holding up in a Luftwaffe Hangar. He opened a door on the side of hangar walked inside and it was dark. He bumped into someone and that person said excuse me in German. My Grandpa pulled out his lighter and he realized he had just walked into a Nazi Hornets Nest. 300 Waffen SS to be exact. He then opened the main Hangar Door to let light in and could see all 300 faces staring back at him. In German he said they could surrender right then and there to him or they could wait and surrender to the 2 Russian Divisions that was just over the hill behind the hangar. After some discussion their Commanding Officer approached my Grandpa with his Luger Drawn. My Grandpa wasn’t exactly super confident at this point in his backstory! As the Officer neared my Grandpa he slowly turned the Luger around and handed it to my Grandpa. Following that all 300 piled up their weapons on the tarmac in front of the Hangar and their war was over. There werent any Russian Divisions just over the hill behind the hangar on that day but there was a Brave and think on your feet American with good old fashioned American ingenuity and know how.

My Grandpa passed away in 2004. One of his major life lessons he passed on to me from his experiences in WWII was to protect and look out for society’s most valnurable, disenfranchised and disadvantaged people. He always said never to use “Labels” when talking about people. Always treat people the way I would want to be treated and to Stand up for people that can’t stand for themselves. He said the measurement of a true society is how they treat their most valnurable people. The poor, the sick, the elderly etc. He always said It directly represents who we are as a people, is core and central to our fabric of identity and keeps us grounded. If my Grandfather were alive today and read your post he would have something to say about it. He would tell you that we don’t put labels on people. He would tell you that we’re all Americans and we’re all on the same team and in the fight together. He wanted to see everyone in our country have the right to pursue happiness and live their version of the American Dream. That’s what he fought for in WWII. If my Grandpa were alive today he would be absolutely appalled and horrified at what our Country looks like today. He would take one look at that Billboard and want to rip it down with his bare hands. Right now the entire playing field is so slanted that it makes my Grandpa’s ethos of Every American’s Legitimate right to pursue happiness and their American Dream a total joke. The game is so skewed that it’s impossible for the vast majority of people in our Country to just keep their heads above water nonetheless to pursue their dreams and find happiness. It’s UNAMERICAN and just plain wrong. As my Grandpa said, We’re all on the same team and we’re in this fight together. Labels just divide us and do nothing to help one another.

Notice one thing about that billboard if it really is in Texas. The land looks pretty bare, just dirt and not much grass. It is likely in West Texas, where there is a lot of dirt and a lot of oil and gas. And attitudes there are pretty right wing and rural, all of Texas is not like that. I just spent a couple of months in Austin and there most people are well educated and much more modern in attitudes toward women's rights and minorities and similar issues. Its not all rednecks and much of Texas is changing. And remember that Texas is a very big state, it is 1000 miles from the East side to the west side and about the same from south to north. Attitudes and experiences vary a lot from place to place. Some change is slow but steady. There are stiil a lot of people who cling to their guns, but there is also a type of medical marijuana that is now legal for children with seizures. There are some things that have changed since I was a kid there, and racial relations are a main one, most any minority can be served in any restaurant or hotel now, or go to any school, not perfect , but most people accept that as the norm, not so in the 50s. Austin is so booming economically that it attracts lots of overseas people, lots of Aisians now in tech jobs.
    As for that billboard, its the right of anyone to express an opinion and be judged for it. The real meaning of freedom of speech is even for people who you disagree with. Hear both sides and let the truth be found, and that;s not a passive or unpatriotic view. Dont be so afraid of the other side's message that you have to run from it.Hear and learn from it, Ie Are tariffs good for steelworkers, but bad for aircraft producers? etc.
    Diversity on the EAA board is a fairly narrow issue, it really is not nearly as broad as some big debate like that billboard. And the reason to seek diversity on our board is to enhance EAA not to prove a point. One of the big obstacles to growth of gen aviation or sport type fun aviation is to try to broaden our base, get some young people especially but also more women and minorities.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    The key difference in practical application:

Affirmative Action policy places formal and legal obligations on a company or organization to hire recognized minorities and women that have been historically discriminated against.

Diversity policy is a voluntary informal action that a company or organization adopts to give consideration to those same groups.

Diversity is an undertaking to understand and accept the differences between groups of people by placing a positive value on those differences. It's about appreciating what makes them different in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc, etc. As a workplace or organizational strategy, it entrenches a conscious EFFORT to recruit diverse qualified employees.

Affirmative Action is a formal, legally entrenched policy that REQUIRES a company or organization to FAVOUR or PREFER those same minority groups who have historically been subjected to discrimination with respect to education and employment.

Companies, organizations, government, NGO's can sign on to both, one or the other or none.

Quote Originally Posted by gmoore View Post
    ...I gotta say - that is one big group of old white guys! Shouldn't the board be a better reflection of the population? Maybe some people of color? Maybe some women? Maybe someone under 50?
    I never really thought to consider the races of members of the board, cause, well, to do so might be considered racist. However, I believe diversity of thought on a board has merit. My experience is that aviators like to be judged by their actions vs. physical attributes, indoor/outdoor plumbing, or age. In other words, if I were offered a board position because of features beyond my control (color, age, sex), I'd take offense. Wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Affirmative Action policy places formal and legal obligations on a company or organization to hire recognized minorities and women that have been historically discriminated against.

Affirmative Action is a formal, legally entrenched policy that REQUIRES a company or organization to FAVOUR or PREFER those same minority groups who have historically been subjected to discrimination with respect to education and employment.

Companies, organizations, government, NGO's can sign on to both, one or the other or none.
    Perhaps in an all white organization there has never been anyone in particular discriminated against. Perhaps each time there was an opening the best candidate for the job happened to be a white dude. Time and time again.

The company never discriminated against anyone. Along comes the federal government and mandates that lesser qualified candidates needed to be selected just for the sake of diversity. The company therefore has to settle for less than the best.

And when those lesser qualified candidates could not keep up with their peers then the company was forced to retain them anyone. Just for the numbers.

And this is better for the company how?