Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA Board of Directors - a lack of diversity

Sure it is racist to pick by race. The only solution to perceived bias is to random pick by lottery, with no prior knowledge of race, sex, age, height, etc.

OK. Speaking of "diversity," what's with the EAA pushing issues with women and minority (races)? There's nothing on the EAA website among "top issues" that says push diversity issues. Is this just creeping political correctness, or did I miss a hidden top issue or one of EAA's Values?
    Bryan

Houston

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
    OK. Is this just creeping political correctness, or did I miss a hidden top issue or one of EAA's Values?
    Nope, it's long standing, fundamental human being correctness. I think you missed seeing the forest for the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Nope, it's long standing, fundamental human being correctness. I think you missed seeing the forest for the trees.
    Not if the trees are selected only by type, not quality, for making spar wood out of.

If a candidate is the best qualified, race or sex or whatever shouldn't be a consideration. And simply because one is of a certain race, sex, or whatever does not elevate their qualifications in and of themselves.

This is the danger of "diversity for the sake of diversity;" first, the metric for qualification is changed from merit to racial or other group membership; second, it cheapens the qualifications of those who are truly the best, but happen to be part of a "diversity" group, as one never knows why they were hired - was it because they were the best, or to fill a quota?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Not if the trees are selected only by type, not quality, for making spar wood out of.

If a candidate is the best qualified, race or sex or whatever shouldn't be a consideration. And simply because one is of a certain race, sex, or whatever does not elevate their qualifications in and of themselves.

This is the danger of "diversity for the sake of diversity;" first, the metric for qualification is changed from merit to racial or other group membership; second, it cheapens the qualifications of those who are truly the best, but happen to be part of a "diversity" group, as one never knows why they were hired - was it because they were the best, or to fill a quota?
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Why do you believe that a meritocracy can't include the values of diversity? Why do you believe that merit and diversity are mutually exclusive? That's ridiculous.

Maybe we could start with the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Why do you believe that a meritocracy can't include the values of diversity? Why do you believe that merit and diversity are mutually exclusive? That's ridiculous.
    Please explain how to create a meritocracy and do that while pushing diversity. At face value, it seems like you either have a pure meritocracy or you don't.

Sure am glad we started talking diversity and political correctness on the EAA forums...

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    Sure am glad we started talking diversity and political correctness on the EAA forums...
    Well, a thread titled diversity seemed appropriate.

But I'm still interested in an answer regarding the political correctness that EAA seems to believe will help put more pilots in airplanes and hold the line on FAA regulations. Guess I need to reach out to board members and see if they're gutsy enough to actually talk about it.
    Last edited by Low Pass; 06-15-2018 at 07:41 AM.
    Bryan

Houston

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Please explain how to create a meritocracy and do that while pushing diversity. At face value, it seems like you either have a pure meritocracy or you don't.
    I believe you and others here are confusing diversity with affirmative action. These policy initiatives are disparate concepts.