Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA Board of Directors - a lack of diversity

The other aspect, I think, is that the positions are non-paid, so you need people who are able and willing to travel and attend meetings as necessary without it being a financial hardship or endanger their normal employment. Easy enough for Captains of Industry, a bit harder for us Buck Privates of Wage Slavery.

Ron "But I'm sure they love their privates" Wanttaja

I don't see why more than two onsite meetings a year are needed, with one at Airventure. It's more important to get those that live the EAA mission full time.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Now *that* position I agree with wholeheartedly!

However, being pragmatic, I can somewhat understand why they choose corporate execs. In the quest for dollars, it's somewhat easier to send Jane Doe, former CFO of XYZ Corp to a Ford, John Deere, etc., to pitch our request than it is to send a name revered by us, but relatively unknown in the corporate environs.
    Carl hit the nail on the head. It's all about who can bring the most bucks to the table. Our chapter nominated someone as a candidate for the board once. He was well qualified, but when he attended a meeting of candidates, the EAA muckety mucks made it clear that he would not be on the board because he couldn't bring enough $$ to the table. Just follow the money. I really don't have a commentary on whether this is right or wrong, but it is the reality of the EAA Board. Like politics, follow the money, and you'll usually find the answer.

As for diversity, just select the most qualified. But that's not really what the EAA does either.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 06-10-2018 at 07:00 PM.

I am not familiar with the other divisions, but Connie Bowlin has been president of warbirds and as for as I know has been as good or better as any of our male presidents.
    As for the board being mostly businessmen, first of all, despite anyone's interest in lower end types of aviation, EAA is a big business and needs to take that into account in major decisions. Sponsors are important, look at all the gators provided and tractors to pull the trams, etc.

The problem with hiring those best qualified for the job means that certain types will be less likely to get hired. Those less likely types will then complain and cause a fuss.

I am not likely to be hired by the NBA or the NFL any time soon. Can't run, can't jump, can't throw, can't shoot. Those organizations, particularly the NBA, are in drastic need of some diversification.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro99 View Post
    The problem with hiring those best qualified for the job means that certain types will be less likely to get hired. Those less likely types will then complain and cause a fuss.

I am not likely to be hired by the NBA or the NFL any time soon. Can't run, can't jump, can't throw, can't shoot. Those organizations, particularly the NBA, are in drastic need of some diversification.
    There is no problem hiring the best qualified who are ALSO a minority, persons of colour, female, and a young person.

Your equivalency of the issue of inclusion with professional athletes is nonsensical.

I wonder how many young, Black, female pilots are out there who build airplanes?

I believe her name is Deronda? I could be mistaken.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
    I wonder how many young, Black, female pilots are out there who build airplanes?
    Careful Walter your racism is showing.

Hey Walter, I wonder how many young, WHITE, female pilots are out there who build airplanes?

Hey Walter, are you aware that there are 3 female pilots on the Board of Directors. They're all WHITE and according to their bios none of them have built an airplane. Do ya like apples Walter? How do you like them apples?

Well, it's a question of whether one wants diversity for the sake of diversity or not.

I do not.

There is no problem hiring the best qualified who are ALSO a minority, persons of colour, female, and a young person.
    Agreed. But when one makes a priority out of selection based on race, sex, sexual orientation, etc., isn't that racist? Shall the EAA put out a notification that says "whites need not apply?" And if they did, how would that be in the best interest of serving the organization and it's goals?

It is no more right to hire someone because they are black or gay or young or whatever than to only hire straight white males because they are straight white males.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.