Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA Board of Directors - a lack of diversity

EAA Board of Directors - a lack of diversity

In the current issue of Sport Aviation - June 2018 - there is an article on the 2018 EAA Elections. The article gives bios about the options we have for electing six Class I directors at the organization's annual business meeting.

I gotta say - that is one big group of old white guys! Shouldn't the board be a better reflection of the population? Maybe some people of color? Maybe some women? Maybe someone under 50?

EAA will be a better organization with a more diverse group at the top. I suppose it may be too late to fix that this year - but let's make it a priority to bring some diversity to the board as soon as possible.

-g

I'd like the board to be the best people for the job.

Ever notice what the folks you see flying look like?

Quote Originally Posted by gmoore View Post
    In the current issue of Sport Aviation - June 2018 - there is an article on the 2018 EAA Elections. The article gives bios about the options we have for electing six Class I directors at the organization's annual business meeting.

I gotta say - that is one big group of old white guys! Shouldn't the board be a better reflection of the population? Maybe some people of color? Maybe some women? Maybe someone under 50?

EAA will be a better organization with a more diverse group at the top. I suppose it may be too late to fix that this year - but let's make it a priority to bring some diversity to the board as soon as possible.

-g
    I'm color, age, and gender blind on these things. I try to elect the best candidate(s).

I would like to see the board run by homebuilders of any color or age.

I am not aware of any barriers to running for a position on the EAA Board other than becoming an active and visible volunteer and satisfying the nomination process.

EAA has actually been very color-blind since its incorporation. One of the early members was Neil Loving. He was the first black man to qualify for the National Air Races at Cleveland in the 1950's. If you have not read Neil Loving's story you should. And his racer is in the EAA Museum.

EAA is based on excellence and achievement, both of which are required to build your own personal airplane. At the Oshkosh convention you see many different colored faces. Its a great melting pot.

As noted previously, the makeup of the EAA Board reflects the makeup of the aviators at your local airport. Aviation is self-selecting. All you have to do to become a member of the community is to step forward and volunteer. Action is important more than talk. I belong to IAC Chapter 35. What's your chapter?

Best of luck,

Wes

Good point, Bill...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Hi Walter - I notice all the time - the owner of the plane I fly is Indian, my go to school for flight training is owned and operated by a woman (with several female instructors) and many of the people I know that fly are in their 20's and 30's. The implication that only old white guys fly is simply incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by gmoore View Post
    Hi Walter - I notice all the time - the owner of the plane I fly is Indian, my go to school for flight training is owned and operated by a woman (with several female instructors) and many of the people I know that fly are in their 20's and 30's. The implication that only old white guys fly is simply incorrect.
    Did I say that? My guess is that 90% of those flying are "old" White guys.

"
    My guess is that 90% of those flying are "old" White guys. "

And the next 3-5% would be younger Caucasians (male and female). About the same demographics as many discretionary income very expensive hobbies. Golf and yachting come to mind.

I would quickly add that NO hobby pursuit of which I am aware has a 'race' barrier. All are welcome and indeed encouraged to pursue fun activities. The more the merrier IMHO.