Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: EAA Board of Directors - a lack of diversity

Bear in mind we're talking about the Board of Directors, not exactly entry level positions.

There is a huge difference from hosting a booth at a job fair in a HBCU to get applicants just graduating from college to apply to a company in order to increase minority hires and recruiting for the top positions.

The author of this thread simply wants "diversity" at any cost at the top of the organization. Screw that.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I'll ask it again. How many people outside of the demographic in question (Caucasian males over, say, 40) have run for the BoD? I've only been a member for a few years, and I'll be perfectly honest and say I have not paid that much attention.

Policies and attitudes and intentions have nothing to do with it if none of the candidates fall outside the demographic you're trying to avoid.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I doubt anyone "runs" for a position on the board. I assume the CEO picks who he wants in most corporations.
    The Chaiman or CEO of EAA holds a vast majority of proxy votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I doubt anyone "runs" for a position on the board. I assume the CEO picks who he wants in most corporations.
    The Chaiman or CEO of EAA holds a vast majority of proxy votes.
    "Meet the EAA Board of Directors who are elected by membership and help set direction for the organization."

28 white guys, 3 women, 1 black guy.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Only 42 members voted in person in 2017. Third paragraph here:https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/ea...nutes-2017.pdf

And 28,000 members sent their proxies in, believing that the current leadership would make good decisions about which candidates deserved the support of those proxy votes.

Here is food for thought. Something like 10% - 15% of the members participated in the election. You can take this as a sign that the majority of EAA members are happy with the direction of the organization and the performance of the directors and staff. Alternately you can think that the majority of the members are apathetic as to these topics. That alternate view seems unlikely given the number of active chapters and the large number of volunteers that actively support EAA programs and Airventure.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    And 28,000 members sent their proxies in, believing that the current leadership would make good decisions about which candidates deserved the support of those proxy votes.

Here is food for thought. Something like 10% - 15% of the members participated in the election. You can take this as a sign that the majority of EAA members are happy with the direction of the organization and the performance of the directors and staff. Alternately you can think that the majority of the members are apathetic as to these topics. That alternate view seems unlikely given the number of active chapters and the large number of volunteers that actively support EAA programs and Airventure.

Best of luck,

Wes
    Well.....if Wes's post had appeared near the beginning of this thread.....this most likely would have been a brief discussion.

Well stated.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Well.....if Wes's post had appeared near the beginning of this thread.....this most likely would have been a brief discussion.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion? Wes's post is about voting for about one-fifth of the total number of BOD's. Zero to do with the subject here of BOD diversity(or lack thereof) and the makeup of them. Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    How did you arrive at that conclusion? Wes's post is about voting for about one-fifth of the total number of BOD's. Zero to do with the subject here of BOD diversity(or lack thereof) and the makeup of them. Sheesh!
    I was waiting for you to respond....
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

"Zero to do with the..."

I was replying to the comment on how many EAA members voted in person.

That said, the stats also suggest that the membership is not prioritizing diversity of race, religion, or gender in the Board of Directors vs current quality of the programs and the convention. At least not enough to put forward credible candidates and gather votes for those candidates.

I see the barriers to volunteering to serve on the Board of Directors of any large organization like EAA as being ones of having enough personal success to have the financial resources, time, the knowledge, and the desire to help guide the organization. I do not see built-in organization barriers that prevent any particular individual from appearing on a ballot. If you look at every organization like EAA, AOPA, Ducks Unlimited, United Way, etc., you will see that for an individual to move to the upper levels, a resume with the right boxes checked and enough time-in-grade for name recognition, are required. I will note that I am still working on the personal success (read $$) part of the equation so you won't see my on a ballot anytime soon.

Best of luck,

Wes