Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paint for fabric covered aircraft

Chuck: I would highly suggest that you download and read the SDS sheets on Imron and it's various components before you settle on using it. It is highly toxic while being mixed and sprayed. I had a friend that 20+ years of randomly spraying Imron and other toxic paints with just dust or filtered masks, died of various problems brought on by having less than 20% lung function due to inhaling the fumes and particles. A forced air mask and suit are required to shoot it due to it's some of it's components.
    Couple that with it running in the 500$ a gallon or higher range, there are less expensive and less toxic products out there.
    Last edited by CraigCantwell; 06-26-2018 at 01:36 AM.

When I was a kid, back in the late '60's, I rebuilt a wrecked Taylorcraft BC-12D. I used DuPont Dulex enamel, which Stits recommended. Applied two cross coats and used about a gallon and half. It came out beautiful and in the 500 hours and seven years I owned it stayed in great shape. By the way, the compressor was homemade and the gun was a Buffalo brand, similar to Harbor Freight stuff now. Bought the wreck for 375 dollars, overhauled the engine with new surplus parts, new prop and glass, repaired struts and spars and interior and etc. Had a little over eleven hundred dollars total in acquisition and rebuild, total. I was fortunate to be guided by aviation friends and mechanics because I knew very little about airplanes! Lynn Pitts EAA #49054

This might be too late for the OP but have you seen this .... using household paint.... watch video http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video...t=true&q=latex
    Be aware that modern house paint does not have any Latex. 100% acrylic polymers

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    IIRC from a factory tour some years ago, the Legend Cub guys used PPG Concept (an automotive Acrylic Urethane) as the topcoat on their factory built planes. I forget which system they used through the silver coats. Maybe Stewarts, maybe not...
    Anyone know anything about PPG Aerospace paint? I saw a demo Kitfox at Airventure this year and that's what they had it painted with. And it's a fabric covered airplane. I would like to find out about the paint components like flex agents and types of finish, flat, semi gloss, gloss, etc.

Cover your airframe with white Oratex and paint it whatever color you like...

Or cover it in Oratex and don't paint it. It comes in a variety of colors.

If anyone is interested in learning the Stewart Systems from cover to paint, I will be doing another seminar in Nipomo, Ca Nov. 30 - Dec. 2. Each attendee will start with a bare rudder on Friday and have them completely painted by Friday.
    Marty

I do fabric covering for a living and have a box full of fabric and paint samples I collected over the years. Without exception, all paints that we're not designed to go on fabric turned hard and brittle. Imron too, even with flex agents added. Worse, they could all be peeled off by simply pushing my finger under a crack. I just finished a pampered 2008 Husky (120hours, always hangared) that has some Dupont urethane finish from the factory - same thing. It looks shiny but push a little hard near a crack and you can lift off all the coatings and are left with bare fabric. Great for repairs, you don't need to sand down to bare fabric! I jest...

But everyone has their own ideas and knows better. Urethanes can work but I'd stick to Aerothane or Ranthane. Not too impressed with water born systems either. Like I said, I have while box full of horror stories. Even regular dope and Polyfiber will fall off or crack if you don't follow the manual! But, again, everyone knows better...

The thing I haven't seen mentioned is ease of repair. Stits, Ceconite/dope, Stewart, are all easy to make repairs if they're not top coated. As soon as you topcoat them with enamel or urethane, making fabric repairs gets a lot more difficult.

My Fisher 404 was Ceconite 7600 (a now discontinued system similar to Stewart) with Dulux and Centari enamel topcoat. Looked beautiful where the finish was intact, but there were lots of ringworm cracks all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    My Fisher 404 was Ceconite 7600 (a now discontinued system similar to Stewart) with Dulux and Centari enamel topcoat. Looked beautiful where the finish was intact, but there were lots of ringworm cracks all over the place
    Centari is an Acrylic Enamal. I used to paint with it quite a bit. Easy to spray, but brittle and easily chipped once it ages a bit. I would expect it to ringworm quite readily.

-Cub Builder