Hi,
My first post I think. I am in the process of building my 4th experimental aircraft and I am having a problem choosing a GOOD paint. The airplane is an older kit called a Seastar. I think there is more than one Seastar. This one is the same as the Paturi or the Petrel which is manufactured in Brazil. It is a bi-wing amphibian. The wings are fabric covered and the fuselage is fiberglass/Kevlar/carbon fiber. Other airplanes I have built I used Polyfiber or Superflight products usually. One was painted with the 2 part polyurethane polyfiber. Great finish but tons of work and all minor imperfections stand out. And one I painted with regular polyfiber and the yellow I was sold, FADED very badly after only 3 months. Really looked awful. I would rather not use a 2 part on this plane but I need something durable. I have a lot invested in this in both time and money. Time? Years actually. My problem is I want to paint it in a nice pattern using a lime green like "Go Daddy" green and yellow like DHL yellow. And white and some black. Polyfiber said they wanted about $500.00 a qt to mix the paint as I recall. Not today I think!!. So does anyone have any ideas what I can use, or maybe mix my own using polyfiber or what? I have seen some nice airplanes out there using lime green. It has to be pigment based I understand so it won't fade. I won't use latex of any type of vinyl or water based. If anyone has any ideas, i would appreciate it. This is my last build and it has to be my best, I hope. I will probably need to sell it when it's done. Thanks everyone