Thread: AirVenture Helicopter Camping

AirVenture Helicopter Camping

I know it can be little complicated but some one know if it is possible to go camping with a 206L LongRanger

My idea is to follow all the direction of the parking man, land in the clear (between aircraft row) stop the fling thing put the weel (grass able!) and request a couple of guys around to push the machine back in a parking place.

Is it feasible of it is fantasy!

Guy

Oh! and read in reverse for departure!!HIHI!!!

Sounds like fun but I don’t think you’ll make too many friends blowing tents, laundry and small children around. Perhaps landing on a more remote part of the airport would work better.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Can you land a little away from others say in the north forty and put the wheels on and tow it into line with a gator or a 4 wheeler ???. Muscle power is also widely available, just yell for help and you will get all you want. Besides it wont create more wind than the usual thunderstorms. See attached pic and you will see what I mean. Heck of a wakeup call that morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think there is a helicopter camping area southwest of the ultralight runway. Mostly Homebuilt helicopters that trailer in. I don't know if fly in is possible. Check the Airventure Notam for Ultralight/helicopter operations.
    I have seen commercial helicopters parked near the Blimp field. But they don't camp there, I think.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 05-23-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Guy,
    Great that you are planning ahead for AirVenture! You are very welcome to fly in and you will be able to camp, but just not "under the wing" (er, rotor).

EAA loves helicopters! For safety, helicopters are not mixed with the densely parked fixed-wing aircraft in the General Aviation Camping areas, but the site has dedicated provisions for different rotorcraft types. As noted above, an area near the Ultralight runway accommodates homebuilt rotorcraft. The Warbird area has special provisions for military helicopters. And a few new production helicopters are parked in the main display areas. Since your Long Ranger isn't in those categories, you will use the Transient Helicopter VFR Arrival/Departure procedure listed on page 18 of the NOTAM and park in a dedicated helicopter area on Pioneer Airport. This is a high-visibility and very convenient area close to the EAA Museum, but county regulations prohibit camping there (I guess they don't want you to shower in the Museum). As long as you are an EAA member (you are, aren't you?), you can camp in Camp Scholler. So pack your tent and we'll look forward to seeing you in a couple of months!

-Fred Stadler, EAA NOTAM Chairman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Stadler View Post
    Guy,
    Great that you are planning ahead for AirVenture! You are very welcome to fly in and you will be able to camp, but just not "under the wing" (er, rotor).

EAA loves helicopters! For safety, helicopters are not mixed with the densely parked fixed-wing aircraft in the General Aviation Camping areas, but the site has dedicated provisions for different rotorcraft types. As noted above, an area near the Ultralight runway accommodates homebuilt rotorcraft. The Warbird area has special provisions for military helicopters. And a few new production helicopters are parked in the main display areas. Since your Long Ranger isn't in those categories, you will use the Transient Helicopter VFR Arrival/Departure procedure listed on page 18 of the NOTAM and park in a dedicated helicopter area on Pioneer Airport. This is a high-visibility and very convenient area close to the EAA Museum, but county regulations prohibit camping there (I guess they don't want you to shower in the Museum). As long as you are an EAA member (you are, aren't you?), you can camp in Camp Scholler. So pack your tent and we'll look forward to seeing you in a couple of months!

-Fred Stadler, EAA NOTAM Chairman
    "EAA loves helicopters!" ?? From your response Fred, I would say not really, not so much. It would appear that chopper pilots and their craft are treated like the Cinderellas of Oshkosh.

To the OP, if you park it at Pioneer Airport, you will endure a huge walk-over to Camp Scholler to a suitable tent pitching spot and also with carrying all your heavy camping gear. A big inconvenience for sure and you will be po'd. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of fixed wing pilots coming to OSH and then shlepping camping gear to Scholler. They camp under wing as Fred Stadler says.

OP, I'd take the hint, you're not that welcome. Leave the chopper at home and use some other transportation to OSH. You'll be much happier camper.

Could perhaps land on the southeast end of the ultralight runway and wheel it across the street for camping with the seaplanes?
    Since you are not transient, the Notam for transient may not apply. Carefully read the Ultralight/Light Sport/helicopter arrival procedure is my suggestion. And use extreme caution about downwash near ultralights. Or arrive during the daily designated helicopter demo times? There is a grass threshold area marked with cones that might work. The FAA Oshkosh control tower doesn't control the Ultralight runway at all. There may be an advisory tower at the Ultralight runway.
    They fly Cessna 180’s on to the Ultralight runway for the Valdez event. So some accommodation could be made, I think.
    I worked with Bell 206 in Alaska. I would like to see it.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 05-25-2018 at 08:42 AM.

From an old retired helicopter guy to the OP, if you end up parking away from camping and need a ride, PM me and I will give you my phone number. I will be there the duration in my camper with a pick up truck.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

To the OP and floats flyer- I think it’s t was about ‘04 when I parked a Warbird on the square and shlepped all my camping gear to Scholler with the he help of an EAA gator. So, now you’ve heard of one. Then there are all the show planes on the line with no tent in sight. A little pre planning and coordination go an awfully long way, and the he number of folks willing to lend a hand to a kindred spirit is pretty impressive.
    If I were in your position I’d check with the fbo’s and see if I could land on their ramp and move the bird to a parking / camping spot on a dolly.
    Fwiw-

Quote Originally Posted by gmatejcek View Post
    To the OP and floats flyer- I think it’s t was about ‘04 when I parked a Warbird on the square and shlepped all my camping gear to Scholler with the he help of an EAA gator. So, now you’ve heard of one. Then there are all the show planes on the line with no tent in sight. A little pre planning and coordination go an awfully long way, and the he number of folks willing to lend a hand to a kindred spirit is pretty impressive.
    If I were in your position I’d check with the fbo’s and see if I could land on their ramp and move the bird to a parking / camping spot on a dolly.
    Fwiw-
    Warbird to Camping is way way WAYYYY shorter of a distance than Helicopter parking to camping. That being said I think since EAA kicked out HAI they have made it clear the rotorwing community is second class unless they have a bubble cockpit and they can make some money off of them.