Thread: Bicycles for aircraft campers

Bicycles for aircraft campers

Hi folks

My wife and I will be flying in this year in our Maule and would like to bring our folding bikes for getting around. What is the policy for bikes ON the airfield when you fly in with them? Our previous "flying in" trips were in our RV-8, which is tricky to fit bikes in :-)

Thanks in advance
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by rv8bldr View Post
    Hi folks

My wife and I will be flying in this year in our Maule and would like to bring our folding bikes for getting around. What is the policy for bikes ON the airfield when you fly in with them? Our previous "flying in" trips were in our RV-8, which is tricky to fit bikes in :-)

Thanks in advance
    Many people use them and no problems. Use good sense around traffic and all will be well.

Bikes are handy. Just don’t expect to use them on the grounds starting Monday. They need to be parked in the various bike parking areas. No bikes allowed inside of the secured area, in other words the whole place.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    Bikes are handy. Just don’t expect to use them on the grounds starting Monday. They need to be parked in the various bike parking areas. No bikes allowed inside of the secured area, in other words the whole place.
    This.

Where there are airplanes or displays, bikes are forbidden. So you're left using them in Camp Scholler and around the very perimeter of the show. You won't be able to use one in any of the air camping areas.

I will be bringing my folding Montague Paratrooper in the back of my Citabria mostly to get into town.

bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    This.

Where there are airplanes or displays, bikes are forbidden. So you're left using them in Camp Scholler and around the very perimeter of the show. You won't be able to use one in any of the air camping areas.
    Unless they changed things, your statement does NOT include the N40, which even though it is an "air camping" area, it is outside of the "wristband" area. I have taken my Dahon folding bikes and used them in the N40 to get to the commercial area just north of Wittman. I do not believe there is any issue with bikes in the N 40.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

If he's in HBC/HBP (or Vintage), he can push his bikes out of the area after arrival. Riding them is right out inside the gates. The issue is he will likely be told he can't bring them back through the gates. He may need to coordinate with wherever he is parking on how to get them back to the plane after when he intends to depart.

If I was in Vintage (which I will be)....I would park in the little lot at the Ultra Light Red Barn. When it came time to leave, I would walk my bike to my plane. I cannot imagine that being an issue. We haul wagons loaded with stuff from that area to the VAC all the time. I could be wrong and a well meaning gate person might cause a stink, but as long as you are not RIDING your bike, can't see an issue to get it back to your plane.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    Unless they changed things, your statement does NOT include the N40, which even though it is an "air camping" area, it is outside of the "wristband" area. I have taken my Dahon folding bikes and used them in the N40 to get to the commercial area just north of Wittman. I do not believe there is any issue with bikes in the N 40.
    That is good to know. We are between homebuilts right now (sold my RV-8 and am only half done my 4pl Bearhawk) so we'll be coming in our Maule, which probably makes the N40 our best choice.

We'll be bringing our folding Montague Navigators.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)