Thread: New OLD guy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New OLD guy

Hi folks,

I'm checking in for the first time. I have a 1948 C-170 that was restored in 1998 and has a lot of upgrades but has been sitting since 2003 due to a heart attack. I have been flying some LSA and could probably get my 3rd class back according to my heart doctor but I just came up with diabetis and so I'm thinking of staying with LSA rather than taking a chance with a turn down on the 3rd class.

The recent announment that EAA/AOPA is going to try to get medical self certification for recreational pilots (I'm a commercial multi CFI) caught my eye since I would really like to fly the C-170 with my bride in the right seat.

The questions that brought me here are centered on the C-170 engine and anything else that may have fallen out of order since I stopped flying the 170. I spent 3 years flying Part 135 in Homer, AK back in the mid-80's and at the time I was working under an IA and should have gotten my A&P but didn't, so I am pretty familiar with how airplanes are put together. I also was about 2/3 done with an RV-4 when I had my heart attack. We are moving to Sandpoint, ID as soon as my wife retires (have a house there) and have joined the local EAA Chapter.

First question: The O-300 (with 150 hours to TBO) has not run in 3 years, fuel bladders may be leaking and it needs some "fixin" in other places too.....does it make sense to try to get a ferry permit or should I just pull the wings and trailer it out to ID from MD?

Second question: Assuming the current O-300 is just a core at this point I may want to upgrade to an O-320 or O-360 with a fixed prop. There are probably STC's for the upgrades but can I make the aircraft an EXPERIMENTAL and do some other mods like 180 gear and large tires for off airport use instead of using the available STC's. Also would there be a significant advantage in doing it this way? I would be doing the work under an IA/DAR.

All opinions are welcome!!
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 11-23-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: HTML formatting