Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitler's Secret Sound Warfare

Hitler's Secret Sound Warfare

Wars can often produce new scientific weapons, sometimes ones that are hard to believe. The Germans were at the leading edge with V1 and especially V2 rockets and the Me 262 jet, not without its faults but with heavy cannons and 100 boost in top speed. I just heard a story about using sound as a weapon, don't know whether its fact or myth.
    I was sort of watching a tv story on the early Beatles and their manager, a Mr. Martin, I think, He was talking about the new song, Eleanor Rigby and how the writer, Paul? , had used very low notes to create a mood. His next comments caught my ear, that the Germans knew about the effect of very low notes on people. At Hitler rallies, they would play notes over the pa system so low, below the range of human hearing and this made people uneasy, sad even though they weren't conscious of why. Then just minutes before Hitler was to appear they would stop the sound, maybe project his photo or have some upbeat music and the crowd would associated Hitler with the new positive mood they were feeling. Goebbles was in charge of propaganda and may well have know this and used it. Ive never heard the story before, but Id guess it is possible.

Have you been to a Rock Cocert lately !? I got enough of that 30 yrs ago!

This is not aviation related, but I will pitch in, anyway. It sounds plausible and is consistent with things we know about infrasound. Whether the Nazis knew about it is another questions. If they did, I am sure they would have used it in the late 30's. I can just imagine what Leni Reifenstahl would have done with that in a film.

That said...when I was working "Army After Next" I read about some work using infrasound as non-lethal weapon for breaking up riots. There was some ideas for using it in war and apparently some frequencies can make human beings feel nauseous or worse.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I was sort of watching a tv story on the early Beatles and their manager, a Mr. Martin, I think.
    If you continue to post non-aviation stuff, at least take the time and effort to present factual information and have some respect for historical accuracy. George Martin was The Beatles producer, Brian Epstein was their manager. Sheesh!

There's a story about a military jet that was so loud that it made ground crews nauseous, I think this may have been 50s or 60s era. Of course that was audible noise, and the story of the Nazis use, if true, is frequency too low for human to consciously hear it. rather it affected them subconsciously.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-21-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    There's a story about a military jet that was so loud that it made ground crews nauseous, I think this may have been 50s or 60s era. Of course that was audible noise, and the story of the Nazis use, if true, is frequency too low for human to consciously hear it. rather it affected them subconsciously.
    Republic XF-84H Thunderscreech.

And... let's not forget the infamous "Brown Note."

Ron "Busted" Wanttaja

,When test pilots refuse to get in an airplane its not a good sign. After WWII the Allies captured a few Me 163 rocket planes and tried to get some of the top Nazi pilots to test fly them. No combination of threats or promises of citizenship rewards nor financial inducement could sway them to get into what they regarded as too dangerous

I didn't sign up here to read about

Disclaimer ; opinions of others will vary depending on what they’re selling.

http://the-grand-design.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Sychrovsky View Post
    I didn't sign up here to read about
    On the lower left side of every post, there's a small black triangle with an exclamation point. This can be used to notify EAA staff if there's a post that you believe violates the forum rules as to content.

After you click it, you will have the opportunity to explain why you find the post objectionable. "Non-Aviation Content" would be a good entry.

If staff agrees, the thread will be either locked (so no further entries can be made) or deleted entirely.

Ron "Baliff, whack his ***-***" Wanttaja

Clicking on the piece about the F-84 Thunderstreak is fascinating. I knew a little about it , but nowhere near the full story, .
    One test pilot had forced landings on 10 of his 11 flights, cant believe he kept trying them. The other test pilot, after one flight with characteristics described as "snaking" , said to his bosses, "You're not big enough and there aren't enough of you to ever get me in that plane again.