Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Improving Pedestrian Traffic Flow, North Aircraft Display Exhibit Area

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    Even better would be to call it Wrongway Feldman Multi-use Path and add bicycle parking at both ends.
    Good idea !

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Most of the pedestrian traffic I've seen is trying to get to Warbirds or the North 40? Perhaps moving your proposed pathway South to bisect the area from P1 to Brugger Ave and onward West to Knapp would be more beneficial? I dunno. Just a thunk on a rainy Chicago Monday.
    That would be something to consider.
    I was also thinking about placing the proposed N/W road in between P1 and Brugger Ave. or on the north side of P-1.
    Where I drew it up looks to be the most logical.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice presentation, WF.
    +1, It took awhile to create those images.
    Thanks,

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    Most of the planes down in Vintage were designed to operate on grass anyway. With homebuilts I'm more concerned about small nose wheels, prop strikes and fairing damage happening. I've seen it happen all too often.

In any event, while not a paved road, there is a good gravel path the runs E-W about halfway between P-1 and Galatin, through the forums. This path is conducive to walking or to mobility scooters and is already in place. That might meet your needs.
    A good gravel path is what I envisioned running parallel to P-1, flush with the grass surface.
    The same material that is used on the gravel path/sidewalk that parallels both sides of Knapp St.
    Any type of path running parallel to P-1 would help keep people off of the P-1 taxiway.

"
    Many Oshkosh attendees are not noted for walking only on the pedestrian pathways. ":

Case in point - last year for a few days there was a entry gate on Knapp St at the westernmost end of P1 - it had to be closed and moved because a small group of 'folks' decided that the P1 taxiway made for a jim-dandy east bound sidewalk, paying no attention at all to those aircraft taxiing westward.

Like the blue collar comic Ron White often remarks - "You can't fix stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    "
    Many Oshkosh attendees are not noted for walking only on the pedestrian pathways. ":

Case in point - last year for a few days there was a entry gate on Knapp St at the westernmost end of P1 - it had to be closed and moved because a small group of 'folks' decided that the P1 taxiway made for a jim-dandy east bound sidewalk, paying no attention at all to those aircraft taxiing westward.

Like the blue collar comic Ron White often remarks - "You can't fix stupid."
    You have to admit it is easier to walk on a hard surface than trudging through tall grass.
    I have seen parents with their children, pulling wagons behind them, going through that tall grass south of the P-1 taxiway.
    They were trying to get to Subway from KNAPP ST.
    In that Airventure summer heat, it didn't look like a lot of fun to say the least.
    Just cutting the grass short along the snow fencing that runs parallel to P-1 would help.

During a bad weather event you need to move people westerly from WITTMAN RD. quickly,
    so they can gain access to their parked vehicle. The more East West hard surfaces the better.
    If there were a safety study commissioned, their recommendations would advise constructing a E/W road/sidewalk along side P-1.
    Do to the lack of East-West corridors.

I agree with Jeff. The gravel path through forums goes next to Subway. Perhaps closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I agree with Jeff. The gravel path through forums goes next to Subway. Perhaps closer.
    That route through the forums would not be a very efficient route to travel.
    There is a possibility of disturbing the presentations that are taking place in the forum buildings.
    Sometimes the forum buildings are over capacity and people are standing on the path itself.
    I believe the paths to the forum buildings are there to gain access to the forums and not intended
    for east west cross traffic. Hence the need for a dedicated straight through East-West corridor.

There are times when I've seen people depart the Northbound Warbirds Red Tram, in front of the Fighter Town USA Entrance. Then cross back over the P-1 taxiway, then go east along the snow fencing to get to the Subway located on EDDIE RD. The proposed path would help facilitate their hunger needs and Subway would substantially increase their revenue.

I spend quite a bit of time at forums and haven't seen any obstructed gravel path or other problems.

I spend quite a bit of time at forums and haven't seen any obstructed gravel path or other problems.
    When Jeff Skiles and Sully Sullenberger were speaking at one of the forum buildings you couldn't get close to hear them speak. Never the less the paths intended use is to gain access to the forum buildings, not for east west cross traffic.

Yes, but that is the big forum building #6 which is for large crowds.
    Take the path near forum 3 and avoid the crowds.

Yes, but that is the big forum building #6 which is for large crowds.
    Take the path near forum 3 and avoid the crowds.
    I've seen a lot of people at the forum 3 building and the path
    that goes by it looks like it was made by a cow pulling a plow.
    What I mean is, the route you mentioned, has a lot of turns and twist and is not very level in places.
    Not everyone has the luxury of operational ankles.

It would be much safer to construct a straight through east west path in between GALATIN AVE.
    and the AUDREY LN. which is on the south side of the P-1 Taxiway.

Don't forget all the photo opportunities of taxiing Aeroplanes on the P-1 Taxiway, along the propose path.
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 06-07-2018 at 06:48 PM.