Thread: Text to small

Text to small

I am trying to start the Solid Works tutorials, The text for the tutorial is about 1/32 inch high or less. It is near impossible to read that small. I have 3840 x 2160 15inch display. How do I get the tutorial text larger?

I had the same issue when viewing the tutorials within the Solidworks application on my high resolution display. My work around was to view the tutorials in a separate program (a web browser), which can be scaled to be more easily read.

I believe this is the source material that I used: https://www.solidworks.com/sw/resour...-tutorials.htm

Quote Originally Posted by blane.c View Post
    ... I have 3840 x 2160 15inch display...
    15 inches is pretty tiny for CAD. I assume that's a laptop. May I recommend using an external display?

Thank you

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Using a large external display is certainly a good solution, but the problem is not so much the display size as the display resolution. If your external display also has this high resolution you may still get a similar problem.
    May I suggest that when you run SW try using the Windows Control Panel "personalization" to "degrade" your screen resolution to about half of the default value on your 15" screen.

Never thought the day would come when the screen resolution is too good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    ...Never thought the day would come when the screen resolution is too good!
    Exactly what I thought when I encountered the problem. We live in amazing technology times. The fact that end users may be using a company's product on such a wide range of displays is a big challenge for a graphics-oriented software application. As for external displays, super-high resolution external displays are still fairly expensive. The usual ones available in a Best Buy or Walmart will offer 1920 x 1080 for less than $200. But, we're finally seeing a bit better pricing for the higher range models, too.

A useful but economical configuration would be a 21" display at 1920 x 1080. Lots of inexpensive models available in various geometries. Pair that with your computer's main display, and you have a productive CAD environment for the hobbyist level (my level).

FYI ... Here's my setup: http://zoemertech.com/sw/solidworks_setup.jpg
    Last edited by conodeuce; 05-20-2018 at 08:39 AM.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Words carved in rock but too small to read

I have hd flatscreen tv I am not using I'll try that.

Thank you.

blane.c,
    I do not know if you have tried this, and it may not be an option, but if you try playing around with your windows scaling, then that may help (but it will make everything, as in everything bigger). If that does not work or is not an option, then I think that the tutorial window has a zoom option (not 100% sure), but you could try to zoom on only the tutorial window. If this does not work, or there is not a zoom function, then check out this link and try what they suggest. https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/100524

hope this helps,
    Christian L.