Thread: Young Eagle Cost Reimbursements

Young Eagle Cost Reimbursements

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am curious what the latest official guidelines are for allowable reimbursements to a YE pilot, without commercial or above ratings, for YE flights.

Personally to date I have not accepted any, but know many do.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

I don't think there is any allowable reimbursement at the moment.

From my Rev. Jim memory,
    EAA asked for exemption
    FAA said "sure, you can have an exemption if you comply with XYX"
    EAA said "thanks but no thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by bookmaker View Post
    I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am curious what the latest official guidelines are for allowable reimbursements to a YE pilot, without commercial or above ratings, for YE flights.
    For a PP, you are allowed to share operating expenses on a pro-rata basis (per 14 CFR Part 61.113(c) ) if all passengers and pilot have a common destination. I would certainly interpret a YE flight as a common purpose, with the pilot NOT holding out as a common carrier, so MY interpretation would be that anyone on the plane with a YE pilot could contribute their share of the operating expenses for the flight, but no more. So if, say, my COZY MKIV uses 9 gph and I take a kid on a 20 minute flight, I'd use 3 gallons, so the kid could reimburse me for 1.5 gallons, or about $7 at my airport's cost of fuel. At $12/6 hours for oil, maybe another $0.50.

I would NEVER ask a YE passenger's parents for $$ though, and would refuse it if offered. Generally at all the YE events I've attended, it's been stated clearly that the rides are at no cost to the kids/parents.

Personally to date I have not accepted any, but know many do.
    People do all sorts of stuff that's not legal. PP's are not allowed to take $$ for giving rides or YE flights, except for the pro-rated costs above. We've had FAA ramp inspectors show up at YE events - I'm sure they'd be thrilled to see folks taking $20 for giving a kid a 15 minute flight in an EAB aircraft...

I guess I should have been clearer about my question. I am not considering having Young Eagles or their families pay anything, but there are times when a sponsoring group will offer to reimburse for gas and other costs for Young Eagle pilots at a YE event. I am well aware of the general FAA cost sharing rules, and such reimbursements seem to be outside of the FAA allowable "sharing", however, I wondered if the EAA had gotten some kind of relief.

I remember the issue Marty referred to, but that was a while ago.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

The EAA asked a while back about such things and the FAA put a lot of conditions (pilot minimum hours, etc...) on such subsidy. I don't know where it officially stands today. Philips66 does have a fuel rebate program. Frankly, anything that doesn't go to the pilot, is outside the FAA purview (so if they want to pay for publicity, refreshments for the volunteers, etc... ) can't see how that is a problem.

I'll stick with my refusal for accepting "free" fuel and any other reimbursement, even if others at the same event do. I do it for the enjoyment anyway.

Thanks.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle

I'll stick with my refusal for accepting "free" fuel and any other reimbursement, even if others at the same event do. I do it for the enjoyment anyway.

Thanks.

Dale

Thanks for your efforts Dale.

Flew 12 YE's yesterday.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle