Thread: Driving from Ohare to Oshkosh - any must sees?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Driving from Ohare to Oshkosh - any must sees?

Hi

I will be driving from Ohare to Oshkosh and back. Any airplane geeky things I have to see in Chicago or on the road to Oshkosh?

Russ

Russell Military Museum is just on the Illinois/ Wisconsin border right on 94. It's got some stuff in pretty rough shape, but it's got some stuff.

Nothing that I would delay getting to OSH for!

i havn't been there but the museum in Chicago has some rare airplanes. There's a genuine Stuka and a early Spitfire, both original not replicas. I think it might be called the science museum, I'm not sure of the actual title. Somewhere I recall there is a German WWII submarine, not sure about that or the details.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    i havn't been there but the museum in Chicago has some rare airplanes. There's a genuine Stuka and a early Spitfire, both original not replicas. I think it might be called the science museum, I'm not sure of the actual title. Somewhere I recall there is a German WWII submarine, not sure about that or the details.
    The Spitfire, Stuka, and the U-boat are all on display at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, alongside all kinds of other artificats and exhibits:

https://www.msichicago.org/

It's one of my personal favorite museums, and one of the only buildings that remain from the "White City", the Colombian Exposition in 1893. Plus, EAA members get free admission as part of the ASTC Passport program.

End of sales pitch.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

The Museum of Science and Industry is a great place to visit, but it is not on your travel route by any means. The Russell Museum is small, outdoors but fun and right across the border. You would exit the Rte 41 on Russell Road and go west about 1/3 of a mile, then turn right. It will be on your right hand side of the road. EASY on/off access from the tollway (I94 which becomes 41 in Wisconsin.)

If you're a car guy also... Not on the route, but get to Chicago a day early and spend it at the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, about 40 miles west of Chicago. And do not take a checkbook with you... many of the cars on display (turn of the last century to 80s or so) are also for sale, including some movie cars.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.