Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving from Ohare to Oshkosh - any must sees?

Hal, glad you posted the info about the science and industry museum, and especially the U505 sub. I looked up the story about it and its fascinating. I can expect one of the animal posteriors on the site to complain that this story is not about homebuilt aircraft but I think its a must see if one is in the area. Too bad we cant fly into Meigs to see the museum which I think is nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Hal, glad you posted the info about the science and industry museum, and especially the U505 sub. I looked up the story about it and its fascinating. I can expect one of the animal posteriors on the site to complain that this story is not about homebuilt aircraft but I think its a must see if one is in the area. Too bad we cant fly into Meigs to see the museum which I think is nearby.
    The commander of the task group that captured U505, the man that developed the plan to do so, was a naval aviator. The aircraft carrier he commanded was fundamental to the capture, and, in fact, towed the captured U-Boat all the way across the Atlantic. Admiral Dan Gallery also wrote one of the funniest flying books ever written ("Stand byyyyyy To Start Engines"). His autobiography is a hoot, too.

Ron "Dan, Dan, De Lavatory Man" Wanttaja

O'Hare airport has a Grumman F4F Wildcat in Terminal 2 on the secure side, in honor of the airport's namesake, WW2 naval aviator Butch O'Hare. Be sure to check it out before leaving the terminal.

jus get out of ORD by 2P.....to avoid traffic.

Pilot Pete's Restaurant in Schaumburg, IL.
    http://pilot-petes.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    An interesting place to stop for lunch is "The Safe House" in Milwaukee.
    If you're stopping in downtown Milwaukee then you might as well visit the Harley Davidson museum which is just south of downtown and 5 minutes from the Safe House. Then, when you get to Oshkosh go to Pioneer Airport and track down Steve Wittman's first design- which used an early H-D motor, and which he named the "Hardly Ableson."
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Might just be me, but the only thing between Chicago and Oshkosh worth seeing it . . . OSHKOSH!

We always stop just south of Milwaukee at the huge indoor outdoor flea market called 7 mile fair. You never know what you might find aviation related if you collect junk like I do!! There are fruit and vegetable vendors outside and I always fill a bag on the way there!