Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cessna Skycatcher Price Increase. What a surprise!

Should we link this to the "Eternal Debates" thread?
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Should we link this to the "Eternal Debates" thread?
    Definitely!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I really was never a fan of the skycatcher adn thought it was ugly (no offense intended to anyone, but id still fly with you if you had one). But, really i dont think it is really worth it for the price they want.
    Olan Rom: 14 & Aspiring Pilot

I guess that there are those who can afford one and those who can't or won't. I've found that to many wealthy people money is no issue. I'm sure that some of those will be potential customers. No doubt some will be picked up by flight schools too. Those of use who need to stretch our budget will find other options. New is great but just do a search on barnstormers.com for aircraft between $10,000 and $30,000. Not only can you find a lot of great candidates but if you're into that sort of thing you can get a classic/vintage aircraft often in great shape too. I picked up my '58 Tripacer with a fresh engine for $19,500. Since then I've spent about another $2k on it. Aviation is expensive by it's very nature but there is a lot of latitude in how expensive it needs to be. I guess that ultimately Cessna probably has the mindset that if people want their products they will pay their price. True but a lot of people don't want to pay Cessna's price for their product.

A larger question is how well the Skycatcher, Flight Design CTLS, etc., will stand the test of time. In 2070 will they be on Barnstormers, or relegated to one off museum displays?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    A larger question is how well the Skycatcher, Flight Design CTLS, etc., will stand the test of time. In 2070 will they be on Barnstormers, or relegated to one off museum displays?
    Good point although I suspect most of us on this site will not be around to observe the answer. If some or all examples make it to Barnstormers, one thing is a certainty, their value will be less than one-tenth of today's price. And the promise of LSA affordability will finally come to fruition.... wonder what alphabet organization will claim it as a success story.