Thread: Page trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Page trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources

Every time I visit the EAA forums, I get an "Insecure content blocked" message from Chrome, and the page loads as plain text with no images, theme, etc. I suspect it's complaining about this:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://eaaforums.org/clientscript/vb...-core.js?v=424"></script>
    Name:  plaintext.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  11.0 KB
    If I tell it to load the unsafe scripts, the page looks normal but the URL bar tells me the site is not secure.
    Name:  insecure.png
Views: 1434
Size:  8.5 KB
    Am I the only one?
    Last edited by DaleB; 05-04-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Firefox 59.0.3 is not giving me any problems with this site.

No problems here with Chromium 66.0.3359.139 build on Linux. I suspect it has to do with the EAA site not using encryption with an HTTPS URL and associated certificate, and your browser set up to flag unencrypted websites.

Quote Originally Posted by DBurr View Post
    No problems here with Chromium 66.0.3359.139 build on Linux. I suspect it has to do with the EAA site not using encryption with an HTTPS URL and associated certificate, and your browser set up to flag unencrypted websites.
    I think so too. Note that it's an HTTPS URL with a valid cert and encryption, but then it has a link to an unencrypted http URL to load some accursed Javascript. Odd that it just started doing this a week or two ago; it's a recent problem. Don't know if it was a change on the EAA side, or a Chrome update that did it.

Are you running a developer version of Chrome? For better or worse, starting in July Chrome 68 will begin flagging all http: sites as insecure as part of Google's push for end-to-end web encryption:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/08/ch...as-not-secure/

There's a lot of web politics for and against this, but the end result is going to be a lot of web brokenness for a while as sites like this slowly get around to fixing all their issues--like the one you just found.

Nope. Chrome 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Personally, I think requiring SSL everywhere is ridiculous. Yes, if there's PII, passwords, account numbers, etc. in transit, then absolutely it's needed. But for the other 99.99% of the average person's web browsing, it's simply not.

Take for example vansaircraft.com, or fisherflying.com, or - well, take your pick. SSL serves no useful purpose. If you want to encrypt everything, great -- but it shouldn't be a requirement. I have a personal web page, running on my own server, that has absolutely no facility for anyone to provide any personal information. No accounts, no logins, no nothing. Why should I have to pay for SSL certs, just to make Google happy? I couldn't care less if Google is happy.

Rant off.