Thread: Prep for IPC

Prep for IPC

Looking for some videos/etc to prep for first IPC I am IFR current but the FAA wings phase I am in asks for an IPC.

Than

The FAA has lots of generic IPC guidance that the instructor should follow. https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/...C_Guidance.pdf
    I would suggest looking that over and getting an idea of what is expected from the pilot on an IPC.

Ideally the instructor should have a written out profile describing the IPC flight and other tasks which you will go over in the preflight briefing. A lot instructors like to 'wing it' which creates a lot of confusion and uncertainties but that's just one of those things.

Thanks "As part of the IPC preparation process, you may want to ask the pilot to complete the IPC Prep Course available in the Aviation Learning Center at www.faasafety.gov. " Has anyone utilized this course?

I'm a FAA Safety Rep as well as CFII. The WINGS program has several benefits. Accident/Incident forgiveness(not always but can help), automatic Flight Review and insurance discounts. These are all possible by completing any "one" phase of WINGS. You have the ability to select the courses and activities to tailor your training even though the interface suggests Activities and/or Courses to take.
    At this time there is no proper "IPC" program in WINGS but it does make suggestions. https://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/pub/...pf=0&aaid=1501
    This can get you started along with your instructor using the Instrument Rating ACS to help find relevant WINGS activities for your credits. There even benefits for your CFI to use WINGS. CFI can get their Certificate Renewed by just participating in WINGS.

Used to be that the IPC was a nice table in the old PTS. The ACS in its attempt to be more comprehensive lacks a lot of the convenience of the old book.

There is also Advisory Circular 61-98 (now up to release D). Not only does it give suggestions on how to conduct the IPC there's a nice conveinent checklist in the very back (Appendix J). The last time my instructor just told me to fly around and hit all those items and then he signed the bottom along that said he'd conducted the IPC.

Wings lists a free IPC Review Guide course, ALC-38: Instrument Proficiency Check Review Guide.

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/...ew=true&cID=38

Gleim and Sporty's both have IPC review or preparation courses for a fee. I've never used any of them so I can't offer an opinion about the content or value. You might also talk to your flight instructor and ask about the best way to prepare for your IPC. Once a flight instructor knows your level of experience and currency he or she should be able to make suggestions on where to start. You are on the right track, being prepared is the best way to get the most out of your IPC. It will also save you money, but I'm guessing your have already figured that out. You say your IFR current so doing an IPC shouldn't be that big of a deal. Be sure to ask about doing some of the approaches on a SIM or training device.
    Last edited by Tralika; 06-11-2019 at 08:41 AM.

I don't have any video yet guys.