Thread: Aviation Radio

Aviation Radio

I have been a licensed ham radio amateur since the mid 1970's. Back in the day when you had to learn to cooy and send CW or Morse code and know how to build a radio and antenna. I have ordered a aviation handheld transceiver. I am assuming that my amatuer radio call sign will not be enough to allow me to legally transmitt if i had a need to do so. So I need to fill out a form or pass a test?

Not if you’re using it while flying.

edit: Duh!! I just noticed the section this is in. Mea culpa, I have no idea what the rules are for ultralights.
    Last edited by DaleB; 04-29-2018 at 09:05 PM.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

No form, license or test required. Just use in accordance with intended purpose.

Your ham license means squat to the aviation radio (I also hold an Extra class license back from the 20WPM code days as well as commercial radiotelephone and radiotelegraph licenses).

In most domestic cases of VHF aviation radio no operator license is required. If you are operating in an aircraft, no station license is required domestically. You do have to operate in accordance with Part 87 of the FCC rules. This covers the nature of use and the frequencies allowed. If you are on the ground (away from an aircraft), you better be operating under the auspices of an issued UNICOM or other station license. Use of an aviation radio for random chit chat isn't allowed.

Got it Ron, as a licensed amateur radio operator not a CBer and after 40 years I think I can pick up Aviation radio procedure. I have the radio to learn frequencies and what is expected.
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 05-01-2018 at 08:10 AM.