Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Insurance

So what about Insurance? Liability Ins for Ultra Lights, I did a Search on here and came up with not much except UL are not considered air craft since they are not FAA approved? So does that mean they can go on your home owners or car policy?

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    So what about Insurance? Liability Ins for Ultra Lights, I did a Search on here and came up with not much except UL are not considered air craft since they are not FAA approved? So does that mean they can go on your home owners or car policy?
    I believe this comes up on occasion, a third party liability policy is available through USUA http://www.usua.org/Insurance/ but it's of questionable value. Not many other options.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I believe this comes up on occasion, a third party liability policy is available through USUA http://www.usua.org/Insurance/ but it's of questionable value. Not many other options.
    I will check into that, I was wondering what others had? Yes I have been in Clarklake Michigan, wife is from Jackson. I hate to be without insurance. Especially if I crash!!

I will check into that, I was wondering what others had? Yes I have been in Clarklake Michigan, wife is from Jackson. I hate to be without insurance. Especially if I crash!!
    Yesterday was the JXN airport 90th birthday, official dedication of the newly built E-W runway and retirement party for the airport manager. The Yankee Air Museum B-17 flew all day long out there and ~300 people came out to see what was going on. A good day! All covered by insurance (just to keep on topic)

I've purchased the USUA third party policy for a couple of aircraft but not just to cover a crash. I was more concerned about somebody walking into the prop or the plane taxiing into something very expen$$$ive--the airport requires liability coverage for hangared aircraft.

The USUA policy was the only one available for the Legal Eagle ultralight, and the least expensive one I could get for the first year of flying the Fokker D.VII replica. It is now covered with a conventional aircraft policy.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 04-29-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Ultralight insurance (third party liability only, it won't cover the aircraft or injury to the pilot), is available through USUA or ASC (Aero Sports Connection) at a reasonable cost. The cost and underwriter is the same for both organizations. I don't know about the "questionable value" part. I had insurance on my Kolb ultralight through USUA. Your homeowners or car policy will definitely NOT cover an ultralight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Ultralight insurance (third party liability only, it won't cover the aircraft or injury to the pilot), is available through USUA or ASC (Aero Sports Connection) at a reasonable cost. The cost and underwriter is the same for both organizations. I don't know about the "questionable value" part. I had insurance on my Kolb ultralight through USUA. Your homeowners or car policy will definitely NOT cover an ultralight.
    I am over 70 and have zero flying time. I understand to puchase any type of UL AC Insurance I need to have at least 5 hours of logged Instruction. So what is everyone consider as a reasonable rate for liability only? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Yesterday was the JXN airport 90th birthday, official dedication of the newly built E-W runway and retirement party for the airport manager. The Yankee Air Museum B-17 flew all day long out there and ~300 people came out to see what was going on. A good day! All covered by insurance (just to keep on topic)
    My now deceased BIL Eric built a float plane and flew it down around Skiff Lake and hangered it somewhere on Or near Hwy 12. I love that area of Michigan.

USUA insurance for foot launched (PPG and PHG) is $336/year, ultralights and LSA under 992# $437, LSA 992-1150# $500.

Thanks Dana, that is what I was looking for.