Hi everyone,

I have found a home built aircraft located in Canada that I would like to purchase and complete. I do not believe it was ever registered with the TCCA. The builder has logs "from day 1" including photographs of the build. He is an engineer and aviation mechanic (cant remember what they call it in canada, basically an A&P).

It seems there are a lot of potential obstacles to successfully importing and getting it registered in the states. I am not sure if it is even possible or not.

I am hoping that it will be possible to get it here and eventually finish it and get a special airworthiness certificate.

I currently own a Glider with an experimental airworthiness certificate. It however is for 'exhibition and air racing" with a limit on range flown from home base without prior written notice to the FAA. I would not want this aircraft to have such limitations as I would like to use it to travel. I have heard this can be difficult when buying an unfinished project with a lot of the work already performed.

I plan on contacting the FAA to see what they have to say.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? If anyone has any advice on this I would really appreciate it. This is an aircraft I have been fascinated by my entire life and would love to own and fly one.