Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VMC

VMC

Can someone translate VMC into real words having to do with training and proficiency?

Per a quick 'Googling':
    In aviation, visual meteorological conditions (or VMC) is an aviation flight category in which visual flight rules (VFR) flight is permitted—that is, conditions in which pilots have sufficient visibility to fly the aircraft maintaining visual separation from terrain and other aircraft.

I don't know how the term directly relates to training and proficiency, but in truth I DID have to look it up - lol

The real question is would you fly in VMC without an autopilot???

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The real question is would you fly in VMC without an autopilot???
    Now that's funny

As far as the FAA is concerned VMC means conditions LEGAL to fly VFR. IMC is the opposite, conditions not legal to fly VFR in.

Note that you can be in VMC and still need to have to rely on instruments (moonless nights, haze over featureless horizon). You can fly in IMC and still be flying without relying on instruments. The FAA has held that if you have to rely solely on instruments (even if technically in VMC), then you are in actual instrument conditions and may log it for such requirements (your initial instrument rating and for currency once rated).

Finally! A forum where I can feel at home. I have an Instrument ticket but always considered myself a marginal VMC Pilot. You can decide for yourselves which word is modified by the adjective.

My translation of VMC: regardless of the legal definition (per Ron's post), you have to be able to see far enough ahead to avoid obstructions, and well enough (or clearly enough) that you can use what you see as an attitude indicator. If the distance ahead isn't enough that you can avoid obstructions before you get to them, or if you must resort to instruments to stay upright, then that's not VMC.

Here's a really good example of what is not VMC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MVDY8o7Bs Be sure to watch to the end, to see how close they really were.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Note that you can be in VMC and still need to have to rely on instruments (moonless nights, haze over featureless horizon). You can fly in IMC and still be flying without relying on instruments. The FAA has held that if you have to rely solely on instruments (even if technically in VMC), then you are in actual instrument conditions and may log it for such requirements (your initial instrument rating and for currency once rated).
    Hah! Does that mean that a non instrument rated pilot flying solo can log instrument time?

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Can someone translate VMC into real words having to do with training and proficiency?
    Interesting that everyone else interpreted this as "Visual Meteorological Conditions", and the first thing that entered my head was "Vmc", as in Minimum Control Speed, specifically for multi-engine aircraft. Go figure. One assumes everyone else was right :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    Interesting that everyone else interpreted this as "Visual Meteorological Conditions", and the first thing that entered my head was "Vmc", as in Minimum Control Speed, specifically for multi-engine aircraft. Go figure. One assumes everyone else was right :-).
    That would technically be called Vmca. We are sticklers here for exactness.