Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Mount Vibration Isolators

Thanks Neil that is very good news. Let me describe my firewall-forward layout. Mine is a Glasair II RG, with a Lyc IO-360C1E6 engine and standard 6-point mount from S-H. This is 200 hp engine so a little wider and heavier than the typical 180hp, but fits onto the mount nicely. Accessories mounted on back include the usual two mags and vacuum pump, oil filter, fuel pump. Air intake is also in back. Air intake is on the pilot's side...ie the injection servo sits near the firewall, with a 90 deg elbow leading into the engine. Look like the mags are the tightest clearance from the engine mount tubes. I can post pictures if that would help. From your experience, does that set-up lend itself to replacement of the isolator bushings without removing accessories?
    Brian

Shouldn't be a problem. You just have to use a hoist to hold the weight, work methodically and be patient. I think getting to the cotter pins is the worse part. On rare occasions it becomes necessary to move something out of the way but not often. Your installation is very typical. It may be a bit more difficult if you have Bendix mags as they take up a little more space than the Slicks.

Thanks again Neil. Bad news is I have the bigger (Bendix) mags, but good news is I do have an engine hoist and patience (mostly acquired by >15 years of building the Glasair).