Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Grounds Access Rules

Why do you have to drive to the flight line to watch early arrivals? Couldn’t you just park somewhere close by and walk?
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Because your not handicapped?

By the time Friday rolls around I'm allowed on the taxiway to watch the arrivals. Before that we stand back and wait for things to come to us.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Why do you have to drive to the flight line to watch early arrivals? Couldn’t you just park somewhere close by and walk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy View Post
    Because your not handicapped?
    Well the answer to Auburntsts reply is partially what Skyguy's reply was.
    My legs & back don't work as well as they use to.

The other reason is the vastness of the convention grounds.
    There is no way around it, it is just more efficient (quicker)
    to use a motorized device to transport volunteers from point A. to point B.

The past few years I have flown in on Saturday, camping at Warbirds. I try to stay out of the way of people trying to set up in that area. However, last year, it almost seemed like the unofficial start date was Sunday, with a large number of people there and into everything. The display and vendor people seemed to be very accommodating (and I was very happy that the food stations were up and operating.) This could be an effort to regain some measure of order to keep the "unofficial" AirVenture start date from creeping ever further back. I think this new policy is reasonable and I will work with it.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

The day before the official start has always been busy because many want to be there when the thing opens Monday morning. For the past bunch of years, the daily wristband for Monday has also covered Sunday admission.

I don't begrudge the food being open early. This was NOT always the case in the past. We'd arrive two days before the show started and the only food option was to jump the fence to Friar Tuck's. That wasn't bad when I was camping in the North 40, but when we moved to Vintage, it's a long hike. Thank heavens for Vintages Tall Pines cafe and earlier setup of the food vendors (and the volunteer kitchen).