Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Grounds Access Rules

New Grounds Access Rules

Hi Folks,

I got this notice about new grounds access rules. I can see why they did it, but getting from front ticket area to the flight line will require walking around outside the fence.

just to expand - its only for the dates up to the 23rd..
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

Yep. Sorry I just used EAA's headline and should have made it clearer it was restricted before Monday. I get in early Sunday and spend the day watching arrivals and scoping out the grounds for what I wanted to look at once the show opened. Plenty of other things to do.
    Last edited by mcdewey; 04-20-2018 at 09:38 AM.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hey guys, just an update to this. The "restricted" area applies to all vehicles, but pedestrians will be allowed to walk through it. However, caution is advised as there is still a lot of set-up occurring during the days in which this policy is in effect.

Thanks for the heads up. I usually try to avoid that center area anyhow. There's a lot of heavy stuff being moved around.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    One more clarification: pedestrians are being encouraged to use Wittman and Knapp when crossing what's being called the "restricted" area. We're trying to avoid traffic (foot and vehicular) around the exhibits in that area, because of the use of forklifts, etc. We're developing a common Q&A list involving this policy, as there has been confusion about certain things. Thanks for your patience!

I might be in the minority here but I think this is a good idea and long overdue. I've been an early-arrival volunteer for many years (usually there by Wednesday before the show) and the place is just not ready for spectators that early. I'll suggest to the EAA folks that including Sunday in these restrictions might be a bit much, but certainly Saturday and before is reasonable.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Someone on another forum discussing this suggested you just have to wear an orange vest. I decided to post a picture of these two miscreants in orange:

Shouldn't it be called "Warning airspace" rather than "Restricted airspace"?

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    I've been going to AirVenture since the early 80's and been volunteering for the last 8 years.
    The days I volunteer are Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, leading up to the start of the convention.
    I have been primarily volunteering over at Kermit Weeks Hangar.
    At noon I head over to the volunteer kitchen for lunch. Which is outside the convention grounds.
    After lunch I like to go over to the Convention HQ/Exhibit Office (Which is inside of the convention grounds) and pick up a
    Visitors Map and Visitors Guide.
    With this new policy I would not be able to do this.

There have been a couple times when planes have arrived early, for example the
    Boeing B-52 Stratofortress arrived on the Friday before the convention.
    I was able to drive up to the flightline to watch it land.

There are mass arrivals on Saturday before the convention starts.
    I was able to drive up to the flightline and watch them land.

There should be away to allow vehicles to enter, so they can watch the mass arrivals
    on the flightline before the convention starts. At least on Saturday.

There have been other years when I have volunteered Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and the Camp Scholler Volunteer Center sent me to the Vintage Aircraft Red Barn (Which is inside of the convention grounds) to help set-up. With this new policy I would not be able to use my personal vehicle to transport myself from the Camp Scholler Volunteer Center to the Vintage Aircraft Red Barn.

I think in order to implement this new policy smoothly you will have to allow the people at the Camp Scholler Volunteer Center, the ability to issue vehicle credentials to volunteers, otherwise the volunteers will have to park their vehicle outside the convention grounds and walk to their volunteering location. Which would slow down the entire convention set-up process.

This new policy only effects the 3 days before the convention, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
    Sunday has always been is a wrist band day.
    During the convention Vehicle permits have always been required from Sunday to Sunday to enter the convention grounds.
    Although the convention does not officially start until Monday.

Sounds like to me vehicle permits and credentialed vehicles are different?

Name:  B52.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  75.8 KB
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 04-22-2018 at 03:05 PM.