Thread: Jet Engne Fires

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jet Engne Fires

Southwest had the engine explosion, that debris went through the window and killed a passenger, their first fatality since founding 47 years ago. Inspection shows one of the vanes missing, since they spin maybe 5000 rpm s it is like a gun shot. SW had another engine blow a year aqo, with wing damage. The hope is that engine debris will be "contained" in the nacelle. Today Delta had an engine fire in fligth and had to return to Atlanta, This one could had been a disaster, the flight was going to London, would have been awful to have an engine on fire halfway across the Atlantic and nowhere to land. Fires in piston airplanes seem to spread but maybe jets have better fire extinguisher systems.
    I,m not sure what the normal inspection procedure for engine vanes, maybe it is just visual, but Southwest says they will do an elctroinice inspection or similar, maybe there is an x ray or sonic or eddy current procedure. It is critical.
    Single engine landings are not unusual in a 727, or similar, I wonder how hard it is, is there a lot of yaw to deal with and extra drag needing higher speeds? The lady Southwest pilot seems to have been expert for the job, was a Navy F18 instructor. I dont know about her multi engine history or large airplane experience, but she had the right stuff as far as being calm. Might make a good president!
    The pilot now lives near Houston.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-19-2018 at 04:55 PM.