Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And now for something completely different...

Chapter 79 in Spokane always asks if we have any guests or new members at start of every meeting. I am not sure what you were expecting on your first visit but I second what Hangar10 said. You need to be a little more involved and demonstrate you have a sincere interest. If you are around often and help the next thing you know you might be riding in the B-17 the next time it shows up. I know many of our newer members have. After you have been there a while and folks get to know you, perhaps you might consider running for a Chapter president to make some meaningful changes.
    Bugs
    EAA 459462
    www.supercubproject.com

What I'm hearing here is that many 'newbies' expect to be greeted as newly arrived treasures (which they are) but, human nature does not support everyone approaching an unknown figure entering a circle of friends. Maybe human nature needs a bit of a shove - appoint a long time member (who knows everyone) to be the official greeter whose job it is to be alert for newbies and make sure they are welcomed and introduced. Might help to overcome that awkwardness that often attends these situations.... Just a thought.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs66 View Post
    If you are around often and help the next thing you know you might be riding in the B-17 the next time it shows up. I know many of our newer members have.
    I can second that possibility. Not that volunteering is about what you get, but hey, Bugs is right. We (my wife and I) have been on the B-17 and the Tri-Motor.

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Maybe human nature needs a bit of a shove - appoint a long time member (who knows everyone) to be the official greeter whose job it is to be alert for newbies and make sure they are welcomed and introduced. Might help to overcome that awkwardness that often attends these situations.... Just a thought.
    That is a great idea! We actually discussed appointing an official greeter, but I don't think we ever designated anyone. I'm making a note of that so that we can bring it up again.

Our chapter (252) has talked about this quite a bit. The board try to make a point of introducing themselves to new faces, and our (fantastic) newsletter editor has a write up about each new person in the newsletter. I believe he has a sort "introduce myself" info sheet that they can fill in as well to help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    Our chapter (252) has talked about this quite a bit. The board try to make a point of introducing themselves to new faces, and our (fantastic) newsletter editor has a write up about each new person in the newsletter. I believe he has a sort "introduce myself" info sheet that they can fill in as well to help with that.
    He sure does Janet...I just filled mine out, and sent it to him last week!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Done!
    Yer good… I wish the other web pages I attend were as well supervised/monitored.

I appreciate all of the responses very much. If this were the first time it had happened, I would not have posted. I apologize for doing so in the wrong forum.

At a different EAA chapter some years back, the first night I was there they sat and discussed closing the chapter. I interrupted, introduced myself, and in the long run ended up editing the newsletter a while as well as volunteering some.

I would point out that not everyone has time to volunteer - if I had the time I would love to. Like many people these days work has become overwhelming, and my time with my family comes first - it's more precious than ever. And yes, they help with the Sonex a bit. My son likes pulling rivets. I love seeing him do it.

I would also point out I am not there seeking attention or looking for pats on the back or an ego boost.

My point is two things.

First, if you see a face you don't know at a Chapter meeting say Hi. Do you really need to appoint someone to do this?

Second, there is no way to avoid or diplomatically state the fact that aviation is aging, and for many younger people this simply makes us less interested and involved. Don't get me wrong - I respect anyone with time and experience in aviation, or in life for that matter. But as others have experienced, the old boys club is sometimes part of the problem. I is not polite to say that, but it is a problem.

I received two wonderful responses to my email to the Chapter president and another member. Will I go back? Maybe.

But my point was that I am not alone in feeling this way and while I may be the one to post it, and be vocal, take a long look and if it's just me I'll take that criticism to heart. Folks, aviation needs young people. Young eagles is fantastic. But we need adults too....
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    Yer good… I wish the other web pages I attend were as well supervised/monitored.
    And Hal probably would've beat me to it...but he's off today...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I don't guess I have any real solutions to the problem. Each individual has their own expectations and they conduct themselves differently... can't help you there. As for having time to volunteer... personal choices. I have a 7 year old, work full-time (and then some) and I have a project in the works, but I make time for the needs of the chapter. Again, a personal choice, but I have put other hobbies on hold AND I have the support of my family. Not trying to compare myself to anyone else... just trying to describe how I manage to do it.

The old boys club? Hmm. They must act differently in Chicagoland than they do out here. Many of our regulars have been members since the 70s or 80s, one is a charter member going back to 55 (he is also one of the first 100 EAA members... heck, the first 50!) and another has his name hanging with Paul's (1st year) on the Warbird's Hall of Fame... just to share a couple. NONE of these guys act like their (our) club is exclusive. They have welcomed me in and allowed me (and others) to run with ideas. These guys also offer rides to breakfast or fly-ins... they don't have to do that, but I'm glad they do.

As for needing pats on the back or an ego boost... not me. Hey, if they come my way through hard work, great... but it isn't my goal.

Hey Robbie:
    How about this. Attend the next chapter meeting, introduce yourself then volunteer to be the chapter's director of hospitality. Might raise a few eyebrows but then again, could be a real door opener.
    OK Mark, how's the Piet coming along? You need to have Geoff bring you over to Twin Lakes sometime.

Marshall Alexander